1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. 2019 What's up with my bucks hair? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Baymule's 500 Pound Boar!

Discussion in 'Everything Else Pigs' started by Baymule, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Oct 8, 2018
    farmerjan

farmerjan True BYH Addict

Well, did you get the meat back from the boar? Are they hanging it for a specific length of time? We never hung the hogs very long; the meat doesn't "break down" like a red meat herbivore and the muscle tissue is different. A friend that was a butcher, said that it was a waste of time to "age" a hog. I just always believed him.... don't know if that is right or wrong.

Wehner Homestead and Baymule like this.
  2. Oct 8, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

We were going to pick him up on the 11th, on Thursday for a neighbor party on Saturday the 13th. But the people hosting the party just spent the first night in their new home, so it was rescheduled for November 3rd. One of Wilbur's hams will show up as pulled pork. Dunno when we'll pick him up, I called and said we were no longer in a hurry for him, just in case the slaughter house needed more time. They are very nice people, family owned and operated.

Wehner Homestead likes this.
  3. Oct 8, 2018
    farmerjan

farmerjan True BYH Addict

I was just curious how much actual meat you got back and if you had eaten any yet. How it tasted and all.

4. Oct 8, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Frying up a package of pork chops will be the first thing we do! I will take pictures and report back to y'all!