Baymule's 500 Pound Boar!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chickens LOVE LOVE LOVE meat fat. Let it cool first ;) If it is still hot I pour it into a metal cat food can. Take it out in the morning when it has solidified. They clean it up in no time. If you don't want to eat the larger pieces of fat on the chops, feed that to the chickens as well.

Wilbur sure looks tasty.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wilbur cost $100. We spent about $50 on corn. Processing was $592 for a total of $742. Hanging weight was 506 pounds. Since we saved the fat and soup bones, I don't think there was much waste. I recently rendered lard and have 12 quarts, so I am giving the fat to a friend who wants lard. Using 500 pounds, cost per pound is $1.48 for some darn good meat. Not too shabby.

I see older hogs and boars on Craigslist quite often. Sometimes they have a hefty price on them because people think that their valuable breeders hold great value. Nope. I watched a Hampshire boar go from $350 to $50. Nobody wants older hogs and they sure don't want big old boars. We'll take that risk. I feed them good, no sows around to get their hormones up and they taste just fine. I know that at some point, I might wind up with a stinky carcass, but I'll take that risk.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chickens LOVE LOVE LOVE meat fat. Let it cool first ;) If it is still hot I pour it into a metal cat food can. Take it out in the morning when it has solidified. They clean it up in no time. If you don't want to eat the larger pieces of fat on the chops, feed that to the chickens as well.

Wilbur sure looks tasty.

That's good to know. I'm saving those fat from now on. Can I give the chickens raw fat, like when I trim it off the meat before cooking?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Many folks up there in the frozen waste lands that you live in RA, hang net bags with suet (raw cow fat from around the kidneys) in them for the birds and squirrels during the winter months as it can be burned for energy almost immediately upon consumption.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's good to know. I'm saving those fat from now on. Can I give the chickens raw fat, like when I trim it off the meat before cooking?
Don't know why not though a piece of fat has to be pretty big for me to cut it off before cooking. They can eat gristle too but I make sure to cut it up small so it is easy to get down to their crop. They will clean off the bones really well too. No waste and the girls get a varied diet.

REALLY nice price per pound there Bay!

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know why not though a piece of fat has to be pretty big for me to cut it off before cooking. They can eat gristle too but I make sure to cut it up small so it is easy to get down to their crop. They will clean off the bones really well too. No waste and the girls get a varied diet.

REALLY nice price per pound there Bay!
Usually it's from a pork shoulder roast. I normally cut the big chunk of fat off but still leave a little bit on there.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I found a deal on a huge boar. His name is Wilbur and he is a Red Wattle. He got too big to breed their sows, so he went up for sale. The lady who owned him couldn’t put him in the freezer, he was her first pig and a pet. He is very calm and gentle. But she became afraid of Wilbur because he wanted to rub on her, affectionately, but because of his size, it was dangerous.

We picked him up today. I took boiled eggs and he walked up in the trailer to eat them. We unloaded him and he walked around his new pen.

bebef5f1-9135-4fde-9d4d-d3a4379525d4-jpeg.8185

He went in the Pig Palace and ate corn.

100b652e-d428-4b9b-886e-4195e1321cae-jpeg.8188

He is over 3 feet tall.

28529f37-f8c8-4a2d-a108-e087bc9ef746-jpeg.8186

Wilbur is a BIG boy!

7e50b422-54e4-41da-bf33-86325dd593bc-jpeg.8187

We’ll feed him soured corn, milk, alfalfa cubes and hay for 4-6 weeks, then take him to slaughter.

He is a handsome boy. We have a huge boar as well. He’s at least 400#. He could be pushing 500#. But man, does he ever produce cute babies. Every single baby if his has spots on it. Doesn’t matter the color. They all
E44BD438-5BCC-4D1D-86BE-9E360316F0BB.jpeg
have spots or a single spot