Baymule's 500 Pound Boar!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dally around an upright on the trailer. One wrap will do it and keep pressure on him. They'll eventually get tired, make a step forward and you just keep taking up the slack. I helped load lots of big ones just that way out of the National Forest back when this was still free range. After a bit of pressure and maybe someone switching their rear ends with a little sweetgum limb, they'll be more than happy to get in the trailer. If we'd had to wait for them to climb in for a few treats we'd been waiting 9 years to get 'em all loaded up.

Of course, you have horses, so you should know what to dally to. Pass the lariat thru the bars on the trailer side and suck that stinker up in the trailer with your pony.
Thanks for the explanation, I got a picture of that now. My Grandpa was born in Helmic, Trinity county, his family moved to Corrigan when he was a baby. They had a farm on 287 at Carmona. When he was a young man, it was all open country and they had hog gatherings. All the neighbors would get together to round up and drive hogs to a large holding pen. They used black mouth cur dogs and rode horseback. The way he described it, it sounded wild. They earmarked the piglets and separated some out to feed out for slaughter in the fall. I loved hearing his stories.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It'll be a great deal if there is no taint in the meat. I really hope not. I don't know about the hereford breed, but I do know that Duroc boars are more often "tainted meat" than some other breeds. If I can find the article, I will note it.
At 506 hanging, you will get 3-400 meat all according to how much fat is on him, deboning etc. Any chance the butcher will let you see the carcass before he starts to cut it up?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is a Red Wattle boar, we raised 3 of them last summer, 2017. I am sure that I could look at the carcass, but what would I be looking for? We raised 2 Hereford boars this summer and they were fine, but of course, MUCH smaller than Wilbur!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking of looking at the carcass to see how much fat, not for anything tell tale about the "boar taint". I forgot it was a red wattle, I knew you had had the herefords. Yes, my concern is his size as a boar hog.... Let's hope it will be fine.....