Beards on Female Goats

StudMuffinNigis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know that beards on female goats are accepted, but are the frowned upon? Is a certian length frowned upon? I see ND does with longer beards than mature bucks, kind of manly and makes me want to shave it when I see one like this. Am I weird for feeling that way?

StudMuffinNigis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I understand a little goatee or a tuft under the chin on girls, but 6 inches or more seems like she could have male hormones and it makes me wonder if she would have any problems with breeding, her kids having problems or being a hermaphrodite like a polled X polled breeding. It's like humans, woman grow light facial hair, but when you see a lady with a full out beard, that means male hormones are excessive right? Unastetically pleasing would be more how I would feel about it. If you had a female goat and wanted to show her and shave her then no problem but that's just a cover up. I guess I'm asking is there any issues that come with a female goat or ND in particular when a Doe has a very long beard? Thanks

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
A long beard doesn't necessarily point to a hermaphrodite, and IMO does nothing for aesthetics...if ya don't like it, cut it off. Hermie does aren't all that common.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I used to have a LaMancha doe with a buck-sized beard. She's had twins three years in a row, so I don't think her hormones are out of whack.

The beards are normally shaved off on does for the show ring, but they vary in size. I've got one Mancha doe with no beard, two with wispy little beards, and then there was the one with the big beard. It's normal.

ChksontheRun

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This is my Amber--3rd freshening. First 2 she had quads and I certainly think she has a few in there this time too. No prob. with her fertility, and I love her beard, but to each his own with that sort of thing.

2478_01-08-11_033.jpg

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Our Toggs would have beards to their chests if I didn't trim them back...and they are some fertile, baby makin' machines.

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ditto.. I have some does with beards (long and luxurious) and others with none.. I have no preference.. even some ofmy does with beards do not necessarily pass on to their female kids.. I don't mind them.. but thenagain I kinda like wattles too! Oh and I have one doe who has a nice beard and wattles!!

Latest posts