1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Help! My Rabbit just had babies - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Beautiful New Addition

Discussion in 'Everything Else Horses, Mules & Donkeys' started by MatthewsHomestead, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Jul 14, 2018
    MatthewsHomestead

MatthewsHomestead Loving the herd life

Soooo. An update on Rose...... The vet came out to do her well check and get her rabies shot. Rose did very well. The vet confirmed the thrush which we have all but two hooves cleared of. She also thanked me for giving her proper hygiene on her hooves and grooming schedule. The vet says she has great body condition but she does want to see her gain about 150#. Come to find out, our 12 year old mare is actually 18. So I feel a little jipped in that regard. But we still love her nonetheless. She is doing better after just two in her series of corrective trims. We still have some work to do...... Overall, she is a great addition, we love her, she loves us and we still couldn't be happier.

Now to find her a pasture mate......:cool:

RollingAcres and Baymule like this.
  2. Jul 15, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I am glad that Rose is improving under your care. She certainly sounds like a sweetheart. Do your homework and find her a suitable friend, to give you another horse to ride.

3. Jul 16, 2018
    MatthewsHomestead

MatthewsHomestead Loving the herd life

Oh yes. We will be going into the next purchase quite a bit more carefully. And it will be MY vet doing the presale check. Just not sure what kind of personality to look for as a mate for her. A gelding? Another mare? What's your experiences?

RollingAcres likes this.
  4. Jul 18, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

In herd dynamics there is a lead mare. The lead mare bosses the whole herd. If you got a dominant mare, she could beat up on Rose, who sounds pretty laid back. A gelding might be a better choice.

RollingAcres and promiseacres like this.