Bedding for Birth

mossyStone

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am getting ready to get my birthing stall fixed up and need to buy bedding.
What is the best stuff to use.... We have orchard grass ,straw, or shaveing either cedar or white pine?

Thanks in advance...

Mossy Stone Farm Pygora's and Nubians

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Thick bed of straw over shavings...shavings are very absorbent, straw is not but is fluffy, dry, and warm.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I put about 4 inches of fresh clean straw in my birthing stall and the mama took 2 hrs to make her nest and completely paw all the straw to the edge before finally laying down to get to business. Don't know what was up with that. Go figure!!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I prefer straw. Shavings cling to everything, and that's such a PITA.

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I actually prefer wood shavings.. call me the weird one.. but I find it to be softer and warmer for kids.. also for me much easier to clean and or rake around. I use pine bedding and actually make my own in large fluffy strips through my dad's planer. I also plan accordingly and try to be there to help mom dry off kids with some towels. I have had two does go unexpectedly on me and they actually birthed in the gross uncleaned communal living area while the birthing stall sat pristine and ready for them.. came home to find twins once and triplets once up cruising around the barn.... they did get moved to the birthing stall at that time!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I prefer a nice thick bedding of straw. And yes, the doe will "nest" and paw the straw away from where she plops down.