bedding

SDFarms

Just born
Reaction score
im new to horses and am getting a horse i have heard diffrent bedding you can use but was wondering what everyone liked best and a good and bad thing about it thank you in advance

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH @SDFarms :frow We have quite a few horse owners here... Let me Introduce you to a couple: @Ferguson K @Baymule @Mini Horses @TAH @Poka_Doodle There are many more of course, but these are a few that first came to mind. Hope you'll post a few pics once you get him/her. We all thrive on other folks pics of their animals :D =D Good luck!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome!
What kind of horse are you getting? I have tried many different kinds of bedding. My fav was a layer of saw dust at the bottom of the stall and them straw. The saw dust helps soak-up any wetness and smell. I tried Pine shavings on my goats and it sticks to them I didn't like it. I don't have a horse anymore sadly.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Over the years I have used many different kinds of bedding. I much prefer using sand it is quite natural, the only thing with this and as you have to make sure you dig get out every day. I've had horses on shavings and didn't like how much I went through of it. I've had them on Pine bedding, which when you get it wet soaks up to a saw dust . Works very well except I've had horses eat it. Not good for eating. These days my horses are pastured and do not have access to a barn, and they do just fine out there.

In the end it comes down to how often they're going to be in the stall, how often you feel like cleaning the stall, and how clean the horse keeps their stuff. Some horses enjoy destroying their stalls on a daily basis. While some horses will only poop in one corner at one spot at certain times of the day.

SDFarms

Just born
Reaction score

SDFarms

Just born
Reaction score
Welcome!
What kind of horse are you getting? I have tried many different kinds of bedding. My fav was a layer of saw dust at the bottom of the stall and them straw. The saw dust helps soak-up any wetness and smell. I tried Pine shavings on my goats and it sticks to them I didn't like it. I don't have a horse anymore sadly.
im not sure yet its part of 105 day training challenge ill find out tomorrow

Reactions: TAH

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
How often you clean the stall is a factor. I'd say that if you are going to be cleaning the stall often that shavings are AMAZING. If your horse is in a pasture that no bedding is needed, a couple of bags of shavings under a covered area once is good. Straw can be nice but I'm not exactly positive about it, we use shavings.

Reactions: TAH

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My barn floor is sand. We haven't built individual stalls yet, so the horses can come and go as they please.