Bedlam's Bunnies

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are planning on adding rabbits to our backyard operations. Havana rabbits for meat and children to show with ARBA / 4H. They only get to be 6.5lbs max. We have this area outside 6.5' deep by 7.5' wide to use. Fence corner is East point of property while wind comes from S-SW (behind camera). Need to minimize what shows over the fence. I have indoor spot to store feed and supplies but no room for the animals. Predators are cats and raccoons. Shed will have woven wire sides and roof dumping rain over the fence.

I would only have 1 buck and 2 does. Once litters got bigger they will be gender split into the two cages away from the fence. APHIS gives following minimum requirements "Single 4.4-8.8lbs: 3 sqft and 14in high Doe w/litter 4.4-8.8lbs: 5 sqft and 14in high". I can fit five 30"x24"x24" high cages in the area I have. That meets the minium areas plus each cage will have a shelf along the back for loafing and I will be using drop nest boxes. Do you think that is enough room?
rabbit location.jpgRabbit Shed_1.png

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome
I use stacking cages and have 24 holes in a 8 x 12 area....they go 4 high....can't say it's ideal and we hope to spread out after we get moved.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we built our winter cages in the barn...they looked plenty big enough..they are 2’ by 18” and 2’ high...the only thin* I didn’t factor in was when the6 kindle. There is very little room for a nest box. Luckily, I also have four hutches in the barn that are 4’ long. But, for the (I have 32 cages in the barn), the other 28, we built smaller nest boxes. I recommend building one..or using cardboard as a test run...then put a nest box in, and see if there’s enough room for a doe to jump up and down from top..in winter I have to use water bowl because my bottles freeze...so take all of those things into consideration....other than that..I think your measurements look good, bu5 it never hurts to use a cardboard cutout to test run first!! My outside hutches are very big, bu5 we’ve got a lot of space.
404ADEB4-B185-4072-A24B-9E32043BA16C.jpeg
Welcome to BYH!! You’ll get a lot of great info on here!!

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We are planning on adding rabbits to our backyard operations. Havana rabbits for meat and children to show with ARBA / 4H. They only get to be 6.5lbs max. We have this area outside 6.5' deep by 7.5' wide to use. Fence corner is East point of property while wind comes from S-SW (behind camera). Need to minimize what shows over the fence. I have indoor spot to store feed and supplies but no room for the animals. Predators are cats and raccoons. Shed will have woven wire sides and roof dumping rain over the fence.

I would only have 1 buck and 2 does. Once litters got bigger they will be gender split into the two cages away from the fence. APHIS gives following minimum requirements "Single 4.4-8.8lbs: 3 sqft and 14in high Doe w/litter 4.4-8.8lbs: 5 sqft and 14in high". I can fit five 30"x24"x24" high cages in the area I have. That meets the minium areas plus each cage will have a shelf along the back for loafing and I will be using drop nest boxes. Do you think that is enough room?
View attachment 72071View attachment 72072
Thats so nice. I hope I can have the same rabbit cage. I am planning to have rabbits. For my kids and for me.