Beef burgers found to contain horsemeat NOW READY MEALS 100% horsemeat

Royd Wood

Reaction score
The big store chains are getting more self inflicted bad press
Nov 2012 - In Canada (Alberta Beef Plant) e coli leading to beef withdrawls from major stores Countrywide in Canada and parts of the US
Jan 15th 2013 - UK and Ireland-horse meat and pork found in beefburgers sold from major stores one brand has as much as 29% horse meat in the beefburgers :ep

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/tesco-withdraws-burgers-horse-meat-found-samples-024326196--finance.html

Small local farming is finding new fans everyday without having to do a thing :thumbsup

Royd Wood

Reaction score
I have eaten horse steak and very nice it was but that was through choice (a long time ago)
If your buying a beef product a beef product it should be and there are religions that choose NOT to eat pork :hu

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
I have eaten horse steak and very nice it was but that was through choice (a long time ago)
If your buying a beef product a beef product it should be and there are religions that choose NOT to eat pork :hu
I agree. It's crazy.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
That's crazy.

Maybe I have eaten horse, something I've always wanted to do. he he he
I might get yelled at here, but me too! I often have wondered why we don't eat horse here? :hu All I can come up with is that people see them too much like pets, along with cats and dogs (which my friends from Guam say are very common dishes there, no icky connotation attached-kind of like I have pet chickens but still eat chicken). Maybe there is something more to it but if I ever have the chance to try it, I am in for a taste test.

I do think we should be aware of what we are eating though and calling something beef that isn't is wrong.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
goodolboy said:
In America I believe it goes Biblical. The split hoof thing.
What is the split hoof thing?

Edited to add

Oh, you mean the Jewish law, cloven hoof/chews cud things. Not sure----doesn't seem like that would be the basis for a law on horse meat. Hmmmm.....I might need to do some googling :D

Edited again because now I am REALLY confused---is it illegal or not to butcher a horse for meat?

goodolboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't know about the law. It might not be illegal because of the church and state thing. I'm not a big church going person, but I was thinking the bible said we were not to eat something that didn't have a split hoof. Maybe somebody could help me out before a stick my foot in my mouth.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
No. It never was but they outlawed the slaughter houses thus making it near impossible to do that kind of thing in the states. But they opened them again so you can do it in the States again.

Ok so that's funny. I so badly want to eat horse. After all it's huge in Mexico and they eat it is Canada. What's the big deal?

Also, dog is eaten many places too. That's another I would love to try. It would be a little weird but then I could say I have eaten dog and horse, two things I have always wanted to eat. And you can actually raise and slaughter and eat your own dogs and cats as long as it is all done on your property. Perfectly legal. Could you imagine all the people that would want you locked up and dead for doing that? That's why you tell nobody. :/

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
goodolboy said:
I don't know about the law. It might not be illegal because of the church and state thing. I'm not a big church going person, but I was thinking the bible said we were not to eat something that didn't have a split hoof. Maybe somebody could help me out before a stick my foot in my mouth.
It must have a slit hoof and chew it's cud. Goats and sheep do - they are good

Pigs - bad as they don't chew cud

But if we eat pig (which I do) then I'm sure going to eat a horse.