Been off a long time..thought I’d add a cautionary tale to anyone willing to read

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sooo, not sure how long it’s been since I’ve been on here…at least 3-4 years? Our farm exploded, which was good, but the learning curve was steep and we were working wayyy too many hours..as I’m sure you can all relate.

a few years ago, I was leaving one of the barns, we now have 6….they are convert semi trailers…(ugly as sin🥴) but at the back 1/2 so no one sees them.

we tried to do as much by the book as we could and learned..even had huge exhaust ventilation fans installed to make sure we were doing harm to our dudes, or ourselves. By now the farm had grown to 🐷🐐🐶🐮🐰🐔🦆🐏🦚…and not in small numbers at all. Plus chris way haying and growing crops. One year he had almost 4,000 pumpkins 😳🤣

anyways…

a few years back, I was leaving the one barn, started coughing and passed out , feel straight on my face, and broke my front tooth…at the time we were told it was just possiblly the start of bronchitis?

fast forward…nothing is improving, the cough is constant, to where I’m having fits all the time.

I’ll make this story, which could be very long and…gross..rather short. It turns out I had developed aspergillosis of my lungs from farming. Not quite farmers lung..but I’m left with chronic bronchitis, stage 2 COPD, empazema and broncheostasis. Needless to say, this tore out our hearts. All the drs said I had to stop farming. Well, I couldn’t hear it, and at the time all 6 barns were full, plus chicke coops, etc. this last year has been a struggle to say the least….I have finally given in to the fact that I can’t partake in farming activities…the fumes fro diesel, the dust and dirt…let’s say, everything made me test positive for lupus too…although I don’t believe I have it.

I suppose the reason I’m writing this…a few years ago, when I had my first episode, I should have masked up then. So, if my tale helps anyone to keep themselves protected…then it’s worth it.

chris will continue to farm, although mostly pigs and cattle for our bellies and orders. He also put up a 72’ greenhouse, so he’s very excited about the possibility it holds.

im returning to my painting..and fired the cleaning lady🤣😉. Don’t need he4 anymore now that I have time.

i exercise a lot but, we still need to find my next phase. We’re not in a rush…I guess?

if anyone has questions about how my lungs got so bad..I’m glad to tell what I know…but, I’m told it’s far more common than ppl realize

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Excellent words of advice - Thank You. Still new to ranch living here. Though I've been around horses and sheep most of my life. I've been using clear glasses when I clean stalls, and the glasses, a gaiter type mask, and ear muffs when I shred. I saw all the dust accumulate on the filter in a short time and was coughing too. That's when I added the gaiter. Figured I didn't want that stuff in my luings.
Sorry for what happened to you. Us stubborn folk always tend to say "I'm fine".
Painting eh? Sounds like fun. Enjoy.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's terrible. And I appreciate you sharing it with us. I'm one who has done the 'hold my breath until the dust clears' thing. 😨 Which, of course, is only slightly better than doing nothing... maybe worse because of the deep gasp when I'm out of air but not out of dust.....

I hope that you can expect some healing now that you're staying out of it?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! I’m so sorry that you have these troubles. Can there be any improvement now that you are staying away from the animals?

Will you be able to play in the greenhouse?
I’m not to be anywhere there are particulates in the air😳. We even need to buy a new vehicle because the farm life has gotten the grime so far inside it that’s there’s no turning back. My love is not for plants, I’ll support chris however, but we hope to keep me in fresh air doing exercise and whatever it takes to keep it from getting worse. I had my first shot the other day…$3633😳😳😳. Thankfully covered..

but you see I have constant bronchitis and nasty sputum..especially after eating, so, it’s habrd to deal with..and I sound like i smoked 50 packs a day…the judgement 🥴

sofor now I’m staying home from dinners…the coughing is non stop and exhausting soi don’t really want togofeel like I need to explain myself more..

its Ok…the paints came in..will need returned,,cheap stuff..but, for now I enjoy my life with my dog

chris us adding cattle and pigs..but knows I cannot help..

lord when will he let us retire? We have no need for money but he can’t sit still❤️🥴

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's terrible. And I appreciate you sharing it with us. I'm one who has done the 'hold my breath until the dust clears' thing. 😨 Which, of course, is only slightly better than doing nothing... maybe worse because of the deep gasp when I'm out of air but not out of dust.....

I hope that you can expect some healing now that you're staying out of it?
Sadly the damage is not reversible…so, I just need to keep myself on top of things so it doesn’t get worse.

definately not the way I thought I’d go??🥴. I thought it’d be death by a hoe to the head🤣

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
@SageHill ..I’m sooo glad you saw the signs early…. I thought I was tougher than the elements…clearly just an idiot 🥴🤦🏻‍♀️
Nah - just tough minded -- no different than when we were kids and "indestructible" :D
I'm not one of the current mask brigade - but had to have something to appease the others when we were forced, so I got two gaiters. LOL - and being stubborn I tried to avoid using them on the ranch. Didn't want to look like one of those in town who go jogging all masked up. :th. But I'm using it now esp when I had to keep cleaning the filter on the shredder A LOT.
Looking forward to seeing some of your painting!!! Enjoy that.
I hope that things will clear up some for you over time.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry and saddened for you....I know you did love the animals. Now, not only is that a "no go" for you, you're experiencing a lot of nagging cough and mucus issues. I'm hoping the shots will give you some relief from the physical problems. I'm certain it's tiring and painful with the coughing and compromised breathing. Feel better!! :old :pop