1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Help! My Rabbit just had babies - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bees and my peaches

Discussion in 'Everything Else Bees' started by animalmom, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Jul 14, 2018
    animalmom

animalmom Herd Master

Hey there bee people, I'm trying to harvest my peaches and there are a lot, dozens of bees on some of the damaged fruit.

I don't want to spray the bees and I don't want to get stung... but my peaches need picking.

Any suggestions on how to deter the bees without hurting the bees?

2. Jul 14, 2018
    Donna R. Raybon

Donna R. Raybon Loving the herd life

Pick after dark or at early dawn. Are these honeybees? They are usually very docile and not apt to sting. Other bees and wasps though can be a bit more aggressive.

RollingAcres likes this.
  3. Jul 15, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Right nw is probably a dearth of nectar available for the bees so they want the sugars they can get from the damaged fruit. Generally speaking if they are honey bees they won't sting you unless they are defending their nest. In your peach tree they have nothing to defend. If they are wasps or hornets, all bets are off and I'd concur to wait till after dark or right before sun up.

RollingAcres likes this.
  4. Jul 16, 2018
    animalmom

animalmom Herd Master

Thanks for the replies. The bees and I have come to a truce: I won't spray them if they leave me alone and if they are really nice I'll leave a couple peaches on the tree for their use.

mystang89 and RollingAcres like this.
  5. Jul 16, 2018
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I don't know the reason but Honey Bees are very aggressive around peaches in our area. The orchards here have a form that you fill out before going out to pick your own. There is a question about allergies pertaining to bees and if you say yes they won't let you go out. You can get them for 10 cents more a pound if they pick so I'm not going out there.

6. Jul 31, 2018
    Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Loving the herd life

I've never had honey bees on my peach trees (except during blossom), but I have had yellow jackets going after the sugar in the fruit. If there is no nectar available anywhere else, then they would go for anything they can to store for winter.