Bees are just all over the pigs water barrel nozzle

Jea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We noticed that there are just bees all around where they drink water. They have a 55 gallon barrel with a metal nozzle sticking out for their water. it works great, but now it's got bees all over the nozzle. We went in last night and washed the nozzle and all around the nozzle in case there was some smells or flavor on it that is attracting the bees,but they are still there today.

Has anyone dealt with this? Is there something we can do?

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know much about anything so I'm not much help but I have a question. Is it dry where you're at, not raining and could that be a convenient source of moisture. I see wasps, bumblebees at the bird bath. We had a trace of rain the other day and a bumble bee was in the rain guage. Just a thought maybe a shallow pan of water close by would get there attention.

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
We noticed that there are just bees all around where they drink water. They have a 55 gallon barrel with a metal nozzle sticking out for their water. it works great, but now it's got bees all over the nozzle. We went in last night and washed the nozzle and all around the nozzle in case there was some smells or flavor on it that is attracting the bees,but they are still there today.

Put out a different source of water for the bees.

Jea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A good part of PA is in drought like conditions. They are needing the moisture. Agree with the other posters, give them a very shallow source of water.
that appears to have been it. I also noticed yesterday that the barrel was emptying more quickly than usual so we tightened up the nozzle which appeared to be leaking a bit. Once we stopped the leak, the bees went away. Since the pigs have 2 wallows, I just didn't think a lack of water was the issue but I guess the bees didn't want muddy pig water on the ground, but clean water from the barrel was just right, thanks for the insights.

The Farming Carpenter

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score

I have my pig pen right next to my beehives. I only have this issue when there aren't any puddles or other water sources for the bees to get their water from. If you fill the bottom of a shallow ceramic pot or old plastic dish with rocks and fill with some water but allow the rocks to stick out for the bees to land on. If you put this father away the better. good luck