Before we breed her......

goatgirl123

Just born
Reaction score
We purchased a Nigerian doe two years ago from out of state. She was very ill and we spent close to $1000 keeping her alive. At three months, she only weighed 12 lbs, while her twin was 20 lbs. Apparently she was soooo filled with worms that it took three months of treatments to bring her back to health. So....due to her small size we held off breeding her until she was two years old. Now, she is are heaviest Nigerian. She is so aggressive at feeding time, she pushes the Nubians out of the way. Should I hold off breeding her until she looses some weight. She is on a regular worming program, but looks like she is 4 months pregnant. Major piggy. Any advice would be appreciated. First time breeding any of our goats. Thanks.

Currently on a diet of wheat hay and alfalfa pellets.

Freeholder

Just born
Reaction score
Can you separate her at feeding time? It *would* be good to get her down to a decent weight before she was bred; in fact, she may have trouble getting bred if she's very over-weight. Fat does are at risk for metabolic diseases such as hypocalcemia and ketosis, too. I'd knock off the alfalfa pellets and just give her grass hay -- if she isn't bred or milking, she doesn't need the extra protein and calcium now that she's through growing.

Sounds like you did well getting her back to good health, though!

Kathleen

A thought: one thing I've done to make sure my goats eat what they need without pigging out on someone else's ration is tie them all at feeding time and feed separately. Don't know if you could manage that -- if you do, stick around and keep an eye on them. I wouldn't leave tied goats alone.

goatgirl123

Just born
Reaction score
Good to know....as I thought the alfalfa pellets were making her gassy. They all have their winter coats (as much of a winter that we get in Ca. ), so it is hard to see what is fat and what is not. I will try to seperate her at feeding time. Thanks for your input.