Belize

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I bet there is no one else out there in Belize!

Go on suprise me :lol:

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thankfully no :lol:

For anyone that doesn't know and I am sure you all do it's in Central America, I live in the small village of Patchakan, which is just a few miles from the Mexican border.:D

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining, I was going to ask!!
I bet you can guess, I'm here in the US.
Could you tell us a little more about your village? I am very interested to learn more...... do you have any pictures?

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
so...we're all wondering.... how'd you get there?? whats the story?

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Get you some pics as soon as I can.

How did we get here!!

Well we just up an left dreary old Britain.

Seriously, we decided to retire a little earlier than is the norm, and whilst Britain is a very nice and senic country for the most part, it has become an awful place to live.

We decided to opt for a more simpler life in Belize, Britain like most developed countries has become such a wasteful and throwaway society and we wanted out.

We made the decision to go for it in February 2007 by July 2007 (our welcoming party was late August 2007 when Hurricane Dean arrived - wow what an experience) everything was sold, literally everything, we moved to Belize carrying everything we had in two rucksacks. Rented an apartment, found 28 acres of bush land, had about 3 acres cleared, built a house, moved in in September 2008 and here we are.

Life is far simpler here and because of that in some ways harder, but quieter slower and more enjoyable. But whilst we are retired, we still work 11 - 13 hours a day, but doing the things we enjoy.

I just love animals, we now have 2 dogs, 3 cats, 12 chickens and 4 goats, we plan on adding maybe sheep, rabbits, geese and who know what else.

We opted for solar power, our own well and intend to grow our own vegetables and generally become more self sufficient.

We don't miss Britain, and have no plans to return, not even for a visit.

Sorry for going on but you did ask.:D

verkagj

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We live in Belize also!! We met Janet and John (Warthog) through the Goat Forum. :D We even have one of their goats, a sweetie named Pepper who gives us a lovely pint of milk each day.
We moved here from Florida to retire early after the harsh reality of knowing we would never be able to stop working without starving. I was a computer technology instructor and was burned out trying to keep up with all the industry certifications for the courses I taught.
We bought 15 acres in Xaibe, not far from Patchakan, not far from Chetumal, Mexico. Working hard on building a house and taking care of the 3 does and 1 little buck, 2 dogs, 3 cats and gardening.
We love it here. Some day we'll be caught up enough to use the kayaks we brought with us. :clap