Bella has Phneumonia - Best treatment route???

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can't add anything to what has already been said, but do what you can to keep her warm and dry. Bacterial pneumonia is usually comparatively easy to handle--viral pneumonia can turn into a nightmare, and it doesn't help when mom nature throws wet cold rain into the equation too.

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was just considering moving them into the new chicken coop that finally got the roof on yesterday. I went outside and it was actually warm but then 2 minutes later "BOOM" thunder. I knew i shouldn't have been so happy it was warm tonight :rolleyes:

Butterscotch got out this afternoon when I was getting their straw and it took me FOREVER to finally catch her. She was just too busy checking everything out and running. I've started her on the halter and she's not happy about it but she will get used to it. She ate all her feedings from the bucket today :)

Bella was still kind of blah this morning but she's doing better now. She was up and went potty when i checked on them. Starting to look a little more normal. Should have named her trouble :) I should get a newpicture of her eyes on here,they're looking good!

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I've gota cool/gross/interesting update about Bella's eyes... When I was feeding the girls tonight I was checking them out before puffing them and noticed the ulcer on her left eye is sort of 'peeling' off... I could see part of it still attached to her eyeball and the bottom half of it would set on the edge of her lower eyelid when she would squint while she was drinking. Looked kind of gross but I can't wait for it to completely fall off!

Her right eye is still awfully weepy though. I have to clean it again in the morning and get all the crusties off from around it. It was keeping the powder out tonight so i had to push some into her eye with my finger :sick . but it's raining now and I don't want her to get wet while i clean her eyes and butterscotch is very shovey when I am in the pen shortly before/after feeding time.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm curious.
What are your long term goals, aspirations and expectations regarding these 2 blind calves?

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Only one of them was blind, she's slowly regaining her sight though. I don't really have a need for them(we have beef cows) so I am hoping to find good homes for them. I've had some interest in Butterscotch, since she's all good now, and someone may be interested in Bella(with an agreement to continue her treatment). The main interest in them is for future milkers.

Bella's right eye is starting to lose the ulcer as well... so both eyeballs are currently looking pretty gross but I am excited for when the ulcers are finally off and her eyes can really start to clear up!

Butterscotch finishes her feedings in about 2 SECONDS now since she's been eating from the bucket. She will probably be glad to have her amount raised this next week. She's eating a little over 3pints now... Bella is on 3 pints and Butterscotch gets 3+ whatever extra from mixing. They're both looking better as far as filling out... still 'ribby' but looking better everyday :)

redtailgal

Reaction score
You'll need to be careful if you intend to sell them as future milkers. Most of the holstien or jersey heifers that end up at the sale are free martins.

I know of several farmers who will take in free martin heifers to the sale. They've stood and told me to my face that when asked if the heifer is a free martin, they just say "no, of course not!"

When you sell them, be sure to not make promises that will ruin your name. It costs a lot of money to finish a heifer to her first freshening.

edited to add: sorry pathetic dairy farmers will discard a free martin with just a little care as the bull calves get. I would bet money thats what happened with your heifers, and that is why they were is such poor shape.

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There's a chance that might be the case with Butterscotch but bella was all tagged and had had them removed not long before we bought her, I think she was just so sick they didn't want to invest a bunch of money in her and have her die still. Both of the girls navals are healed up now too,Butterscotch is pretty-much stuck with one that makes her look like a boy though! :(

I will try to post an update tomorrow, There's a super nice girl coming to check out Bella tomorrow so she can see her and get some info as far finishing her care for her eyes.

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I found a place that does the genetic testing for Freemartinism. It's only $25 each test which isn't bad. I will only be having Butterscotch tested though since she wasn't tagged by the dairy and was fairly young when I bought her.

Read a bunch of stuffonline about 'how to detect a Freemartin" but a lot of it sounds like old wives tales.... long vulva hair, and vulva + sac on the calf,weird pee stream.... The tubing thing I read sounded good(when done by a vet) but I think it's just cheaper for me to have the genetic test done. I tried to draw blood on the goats a while back and it didn't work out so good for me, I will have to see about having the Vet do it but it shouldn't cost much if i bring the girls to him.

Besides all that,they're doing good. Bella is up and ready for food at every feeding and her eyes are looking better everyday. Butterscotch is a ball of energy at all times. She was having a blast chasing the chickens today!

Latest posts