Best Age for Purchasing First Cattle?

WyndSyrin

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
To answer your original post: In my humble opinion I would say if you want to have cows that are "docile" and people friendly, then I would start with some bottle calves about 2 months old. This way they will associate you with food and come to depend on you as "mamma." Raise them up and while you are doing that it is very wise to get them to respect you as the "head Cow" From there just feed them and get them used to being around you. Breed suggestions, I would would say maybe a Dexter. they are relatively smaller than most other cattle and can be used for both Milk and beef. At least so I have read

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Humans have domesticated animals and plants for over 10,000 years now so that they could feed and clothe their families. Now these folks come along and say we should not feed animals, in this case cattle, to our families but keep them as pets and feed and care for them untill they die of old age. I guess that all of these generations of farmers have been all wrong. :th

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
As the saying goes, "If you want to save a heritage breed, then eat it." The reason is, if there is no financial benefit for feeding and caring for an animal, the farmer (who is not a charity case and must make a living) has no reason to raise said animal.

We happily buy feeder pigs from breeders who raise heritage pigs. We give them the financial support to keep raising heritage pigs. We could choose to raise modern breeds for our feeder pigs (read that as meat for the freezer) but we choose to SAVE an old breed by eating it.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
As the saying goes, "If you want to save a heritage breed, then eat it." The reason is, if there is no financial benefit for feeding and caring for an animal, the farmer (who is not a charity case and must make a living) has no reason to raise said animal.

We happily buy feeder pigs from breeders who raise heritage pigs. We give them the financial support to keep raising heritage pigs. We could choose to raise modern breeds for our feeder pigs (read that as meat for the freezer) but we choose to SAVE an old breed by eating it.
A LOT of merit to this /\.

The reason so many species/breeds of animals and plant products have become threatened is that the top of the food chain no longer had much use for them.

Latest posts