Best Bedding Material for Goats?

sammileah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
just fluff the bedding and the berries will fall a few layers down.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use the same method inside the shed but this year I contemplate trouble with mud and slush outside the shed and in the winter pen. We have had no rain all spring/summer and are now just getting some~the dust is turning into very soft mud!

Also, I had gardened in the pen and had planned on having a winter crop with a cover crop growing by now but the drought took care of that idea. I will still sow a cover crop but really want to avoid churned up mud near the entrance to the shed.

Anyone ever used a deep layer of bark mulch in these areas with any success? Does the bark just work down into the mud and cause more problems or does it provide some firmer footing?

As my sheep are contrary and will just as likely want to lay out in the mud as in the nice dry pine bedding in the shed, I want to avoid having cold and muddy sheep all winter. Last winter I tried the pine bedding in these places and it just kept these areas soft and mushy.

Dix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use the same method inside the shed but this year I contemplate trouble with mud and slush outside the shed and in the winter pen. We have had no rain all spring/summer and are now just getting some~the dust is turning into very soft mud!

Also, I had gardened in the pen and had planned on having a winter crop with a cover crop growing by now but the drought took care of that idea. I will still sow a cover crop but really want to avoid churned up mud near the entrance to the shed.

Anyone ever used a deep layer of bark mulch in these areas with any success? Does the bark just work down into the mud and cause more problems or does it provide some firmer footing?

As my sheep are contrary and will just as likely want to lay out in the mud as in the nice dry pine bedding in the shed, I want to avoid having cold and muddy sheep all winter. Last winter I tried the pine bedding in these places and it just kept these areas soft and mushy.

Dix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When we moved in, it was middle of Jan. And there was nothing but mud. We couldn't even walk outside without sinking! We brought in a huge bale of straw and spread it out. Huge help! Then come summer we raked it up and threw it in the garden. Bet it would work for the goats...if they don't eat it!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something that will work and is maintenance free, lasts forever and benefit you are those concrete squares ya can get at WallyWorld, Lowe's, Home Depot. When it is muddy outside the goats will stay on them and off the ground. They assist with your footing, too. They will also file some on those hooves, so trimming is decreased. We use them in our pen, and if you wish to give them a place to lay just put 4 or more of the bigger squares together.... IMAG1429.jpg ...here is a pic of some we have in there, the lounger is one of their favorite toys.

Latest posts