1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Best book on donkeys?

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Horses, Mules' started by Alibo, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Oct 6, 2015
    Alibo

Alibo Loving the herd life

My herd is growing fast, with lots of babies that will soon be out in a pasture. We have a lot of coyotes in the area so my mom decided I needed a baby donkey to protect the herd when they all go out together. We found a five month old standard jenny and named her Maple. She will let us touch her and take a treat but that is about it. I need some good information on how to start on ground work and I can read online all day but never retain the information as well as if I read in a book. I have experience with horse ground work but I know donkeys are a bit different. We have a herd of goats that she is chasing right now, even though she was raised with them at her last house. She does not seem to mind the piglets or dogs running under her feet though. Please send menyour best book recommendations as well as any friendly tips for a proud new donkey owner. 2015-10-05 18.17.05.jpg

2. Oct 6, 2015
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

You can get a lot of information from the donkey and mule club, plus they have a great magazine! www.lovelongears.com Your donkey is a cutie pie!

3. Oct 7, 2015
    Alibo

Alibo Loving the herd life

Thanks! She is finally realizing that if she chases the goats they will not like her. It is funny to watch the gears in her head turn!