Best Book

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My two hives are ready for delivery. I ordered them from a local beekeeper during the winter. Now that they're coming home soon, what book would everyone suggest as a Bee Bible? I have several indispensable books for my sheep and books on chickens, and rabbits... but only one on bees.

And that book isn't very deep or specific. It does have pretty glossy photos. I've read a lot online and know the basics but I'd like a good book on the shelf for reference and specific practical application of the methods necessary to tend the bees correctly.

I already read this forum and glean the knowledge shared herein, which is incredibly valuable but I'm a bookie. Having an excellent book on bees for my library is a must-have. What do you suggest?

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is going to sound funny, because I don't have it and haven't read it, but I'd suspect Beekeeping for Dummies would be your best all around one book goto source for bee husbandry.

I'm a bookie, too, and have about 10-11.
I've only had bees 1 year come March 27th, but with stating with 4 and over wintering 8 successfully, I'm going to go out on a limb and say beekeeping is not hard, but requires a good deal of attention, and timely manipulations that are extremely seasonal and tied to the ebb and flow of your local flora. You as a keeper will need to anticipate these things, or you will forever be reacting. If you have farmed before, you know what I'm speaking of.
:old

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have Beekeeping for Dummies and I found it to be a very well laid out book with great organization of the material. Definitely a great book for a beginner. I also have Hive Management, but when I read it as a beginner, I found a lot of it was geared towards the more experienced beekeeper.

Books are great, but I learn far more from my bees. I learn a lot by watching my bees and getting into the hive. I agree on beekeeping being largely about timing. There have been times I've not known what to do, and that is generally when I do nothing. The bees know a lot more about this than I do.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
As said...Beekeeping for Dummies is great.

I also like the American Bee Journal, my son gave me a subscription and I am now hooked. Very very good magazine.

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The American Bee Journal sounds interesting. I have two books already, Storey's book Beekeeping. I have almost the entire library of the Storey books. http://www.amazon.com/Storeys-Guide.../ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr= and I have another book called The Honeybee Hobbyist . A large book with very good pictures and illustrations. http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Bee-Hob...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1458042364&sr=1-1

I haven't been a fan of the 'dummy' books, but I'll give this one a try since it comes very much recommended. Thank you all for all your help. I appreciate it.

Latest posts