1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: How much alfalfa is too much ?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Breed For Newbie

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Sheep' started by Nyboy, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Feb 16, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Chillin' with the herd

Hi at sometime in the future I would like to get a pair of sheep to help keep grass in home orchard short. I love mini animals and am thinking Babydoll or Shetland what are the pros and cons of each. I am a dog groomer and have shaved dogs for over 30 years, so can do same for sheep. Thank You

2. Feb 16, 2017
    purplequeenvt

purplequeenvt True BYH Addict

Babydoll Southdowns, while small, are still heavy and strong. They have a lot of wool and can struggle with wool blind (wool covering the eyes). I don't have a lot of experience with the breed as I've never owned them.

Shetlands are fun little sheep that come in lots of colors and patterns. Adult ewes are generally around 80 lbs. They tend to be flighty sheep, but tame down nicely with a little bribery of grain and scratches. They are hardy sheep as well.

Nyboy and luvmypets like this.
  3. Feb 16, 2017
    Bossroo

Bossroo Loving the herd life

Sheep and goats LOVE to eat nice and tender tree bark , branches, twigs as well as the leaves.

Nyboy likes this.
  4. Feb 17, 2017
    Nyboy

Oh I knew goats would, but thought sheep would not. Article I read said wineyards used them because they only ate grass, left grape vines alone.

5. Feb 17, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

My sheep browse on everything. We used them to help clear the briar infested acre we loosely called a pasture. They stood on their hind legs to nip off tree branches and leaves.

6. Feb 17, 2017
    goatgurl

goatgurl True BYH Addict

yup Nyboy, I had seen the same thing about sheep so when my lawnmower died late last summer I kept the goats out but let the sheep in the yard to 'mow the grass' and they ate almost every flower and shrub I had growing. i have katahdin's which are a hair sheep, no shearing required, and they browse as much as the goats but i have been told that the wool sheep like the shetlands don't. bigger trees are safe but they ate my honey berry bushes to the ground. hopefully more sheeple on here will help answer your question.

Nyboy likes this.
  7. Feb 17, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

IMG_0512.JPG

Whatever they can reach..........

Nyboy and RuralFarmGirl like this.
  8. Feb 18, 2017
    purplequeenvt

purplequeenvt True BYH Addict

Sheep will definitely nibble your trees. How much damage they do will depend on the individual animals and how many other types of forage they have available.

They won't usually strip a tree unless it's a very yummy tree and/or there isn't enough tasty pasture available.

You can wrap the trunks with hardware cloth to prevent the sheep from eating the bark. The leaves on any low hanging branches would eaten, but the rest would be safe.

There are ways to safely graze around trees without killing them.

Nyboy and RuralFarmGirl like this.
  9. Feb 20, 2017
    norseofcourse

norseofcourse True BYH Addict Golden Herd Member

My sheep eat almost anything, and last winter my ram did major damage to some apple trees that are probably 70 years old or so, eating large amounts of their bark. So yes, you may need to protect the trees in your orchard.

Grapevines are one of my sheep's most favorite things. They won't eat the thick lower vine, but any leaves they can reach are eaten fast!

10. Feb 21, 2017
    Nyboy

Thanks guys always pays to ask people that have animal .