Best Companion

TheRookie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Im new to the forum but I've been on BYC for a while. We have chickens, ducks, and a horse. The horse is currently being boarded but we want to bring him home due to personal issues. He is a 16 year old Thoroughbred and VERY herdbound... We cant get anoher horse but we can get a goat or maybe two if that would be better. What would be the best breed for this? Also, where are some good places in NC to adopt goats (if thats a good idea...)?

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Do you ride the horse? Or is he primarily a pet? Are you okay with his current level of herd bound behavior? I suppose it wouldn't be a problem if he is a pet who never leaves the property. If you want to ride him by himself off property, allowing him to be so herd bound might not be beneficial. Whether or not a goat is a suitable companion depends on the horse. For my older, quiet mare, a goat would be fine. For my younger, more enthusiastic gelding, a goat could be in danger. If a goat is a suitable companion, I would probably look for one that is large, amiable, and hornless. I would be careful about adopting a goat. Make sure the proper health checks have been done. Some bugs, such as the one responsible for pigeon fever, are cross-transmissible from goat to horse.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If that horse is not used to goats, you may have a lot of trouble getting him to accept the goat as a buddy and not something he needs to stomp on. You might be better off getting a small pony for him.

TheRookie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The horse has arthritis and can't be ridden without him having a fit. He's on meds for his joints but the saddle still seems to hurt him. He will probably not leave our property again after we get him home so herdbound issues are not a huge deal. The problem with getting him a pony is that my mom (I live at home) isn't prepared for that. I'll try to discuss it with her once we get the barn started. We're still finishing the chicken coop. What would be the smallest size pony you would put with him? He is 16.1 hands but he's very sweet with the small ponies he lives with now. It's the big boys he doesn't get along with.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
What about a pony or miniature horse. If he already gets along with ponys, then that would be the way to go. I would find someone that would be willing to take the animal back if they don't get along.

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
In most small pony/big horse relationships I know, it is the pony who wears the pants. :) In this particular case, I don't think size matters as much. Especially with the way you describe your horses disposition.

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Another option is to allow him (the gelding) to share a fence line with a goat or 2. Sometimes that is all they need to feel like they have a companion. A friend of ours has an arab mare, who shares ONLY a fence line with another mare, and on the other side, other fence line, she shares with a small herd of goats. No other critters share the actual pasture with the horse - but she can always see and be near them through the fencing and is content as such.

Could you possibly section off a small chunk for a goat or 2 where the horse could be near but not harm them? That way they can hang out with out worries and loneliness? Might take a little more work, but is worth it in the added safety for the goats...

Just a thought...

ETA: I'd stay away from "rescuing" a goat - it's going to be a lot more money and vet bills more often than not versus purchasing one who is healthy, since you already have the cost of the horse and housing to consider...maybe find a nice dairy wether that needs a home, or even a 4H/FFA wether that the family doesn't want to eat since they raised it like a pet, but can't keep...or even can't be shown because the child failed a class - those kinds of things tend to pop up often on CL around here this time of year "Goat has to go, good home only" kinda thing...that's what I'd be watching for if I just wanted a pet goat...

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Goats are often used as companions to thoroughbred horses at the racetracks. It is a very common practice. Get a large breed. Introduce them carefully. Make sure you get one that is easy going and mild mannered. They two should get along pretty well if the horse is also an easy going animal. Also it should probably be a doe. Horses often spook to goats on the trail when they meet pack goats so you will need to put them side by side in different stalls for the first few days until the horse is used to the goat. Once they get to know each other, they should be fine.