BEST COYOTE KILLER BREEDS - SUGGESTIONS!

Boor122009

Just born
Reaction score
Woodsie, your lucky it's just coyotes and not Canadian Mackenzie Valley Wolves. Instead of putting more dogs at risk of death or injury, my best advice would be to sort it out with a firearm. Yes, this sounds awful, but it's the best and most cost affective way to handle this. A more humane way would be to trap and relocate the coyotes. Your local environmental management should be able to help.

Getting back to your request for breeds, well, that depends on whether you want to hunt then or have LGD's that will chase and kill them? Your large sight-hounds(Borzoi, greyhounds, Irish wolfhounds, Scottish Deer hounds, etc.) have all been used to hunt predators. LGD breeds all have a different way they protect the flock, no one way is better than the other, but a combination of there tactics is the best. Whether it be dogs that chase and kill, dogs that that stay back with the flock and defend from there or dogs who patrol and report back. So the best way to combat predators would be to incorporate dogs who have all these characteristics. Remember, building up your pack means more money and this may not be cost effective for some, but will pay out in the long run. Kangals, Central Asian Shepherds, Caucasian Ovcharkas, Spanish Mastiffs, Akabash, Anatolian Shepherd all chase and eradicate. Great Pyr, marremma, Kuvasz all tend to stay back and fight.

whatever you decide, Good Luck!!!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pops2: Great info on kill dogs,but you would have to have several and keep them kenneled until they were taken out to chase and kill the coyotes. My question as always is: Has he lost stock? If not, then his dogs are working fine. If a coyote comes in and won't leave the LGD will kill it. If it is a large pack cpmong in they will kill a single LGD. Getting a younger male LGD to replace his aged GP is what he needs. His heelers are herding dogs. They might fight the coyotes to protect the sheep, but are not bred to do it. Many of my friends with herding dogs kennel them when not there to supervise them since many herding dogs will herd on their own.

Woodsie: Loaning your LGDs should never be an option since his LGDs won't accept them and it will take time for your dogs to learn the territory and bond with his goats.

If the coyotes keep coming into the property, call a professional hunter who is licensed for predator control. If he can't hunt coyotes within city limits, he may be able to trap them and kill them. Hav-a-hart makes large size live traps. I don't believe in trap and release for coyotes. They have adapted to city life too well. In Burbank, CA (yes, Burbank, home of many major TV studios!) packs of coyotes roam the city parks and in some places people can't take their dogs for a walk without the risk of attack. They eat fruit, pets, possums, rats, and trash, etc.

Hope things go well.

whisperingsage

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My neighbour just stopped by for eggs and said that he was looking for an exceptional coyote killer dog...he just saw 6 of them this morning and our dogs have been going nuts! My two Pyrs are locked in the sheep pen, so the sheep are safe but I am nervous about my rabbits and 3 goat kids in the pen a few hundred feet away.

Anyways he has 5 dogs including a GP but they can't seem to catch and kill those pests and he has 350 goat herd in kidding season. I can see why he wants the coyotoes taken care of. He was looking for a Russian Wolfhound but nothing remotely in our area and it seems most are mostly show not working lines.

Any suggestions, need something with some speed as I think the regular dogs (Pyr, Shepherd, cattle dogs are getting out run)?

We have the great Pyrnanees/Anatolian crosses, there are several of the giant Livestock guardian breeds that will kill coyotes, ours have killed 2 that we know of, killed, stripped and eaten. They dropped the skin and bones at our feet. Now, however, California has reintroduced wolves into our county and keep in mind, I wouldn't be comfortable with just ONE dog, I have to have a pack myself. I grew up with a pack of dogs (latchkey kids, single Mom) and she made sure there were no less than 7 dogs to guard us. As children we just had every breed, all free. But as a herder of goats/sheep and poultry and rabbits, I don't rely on these dogs as pets (they are very serious and not pet material- and tend to be dominant. Anytime I toodle around the farm doing things, my dogs whine at me. They don't like not being in control and I stress them out. They may never, ever accept you as alpha, so understand that. In addition, they aren't great at understanding harmful humans. Once they bond with livestock, that species is off limits for harm. That includes us, so I am not confident their psychology will allow them to hurt a human that is hurting me and that's a great concern for us out in the boonies, as our sheriffs have ignored a murder of one of our church members, and declared her death "natural causes" when there was an obvious struggle, broken out front window, naked in November, 1/4 mile from the house in the bushes. So we are pretty much pioneer frontier country and have to fend for ourselves. I am looking at getting another Rottie to add to the pack. My first one was awesome, and protected me from rapists. Plus they are better at being pets.

whisperingsage

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Pops2: Great info on kill dogs,but you would have to have several and keep them kenneled until they were taken out to chase and kill the coyotes. My question as always is: Has he lost stock? If not, then his dogs are working fine. If a coyote comes in and won't leave the LGD will kill it. If it is a large pack cpmong in they will kill a single LGD. Getting a younger male LGD to replace his aged GP is what he needs. His heelers are herding dogs. They might fight the coyotes to protect the sheep, but are not bred to do it. Many of my friends with herding dogs kennel them when not there to supervise them since many herding dogs will herd on their own.

Woodsie: Loaning your LGDs should never be an option since his LGDs won't accept them and it will take time for your dogs to learn the territory and bond with his goats.

If the coyotes keep coming into the property, call a professional hunter who is licensed for predator control. If he can't hunt coyotes within city limits, he may be able to trap them and kill them. Hav-a-hart makes large size live traps. I don't believe in trap and release for coyotes. They have adapted to city life too well. In Burbank, CA (yes, Burbank, home of many major TV studios!) packs of coyotes roam the city parks and in some places people can't take their dogs for a walk without the risk of attack. They eat fruit, pets, possums, rats, and trash, etc.

But what's the point of kenneling? These dogs were designed to think independently without the supervision of humans. If he's not out there protecting the flock, he's not able to do his job. Our dogs won't come in the house and neither will they come in the car. Kenneling them would be the ultimate insult and stress to their minds.

Hope things go well.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH @whisperingsage I see you joined quite a while back... Glad you finally jumped in :clap Although I hate to point out, the last (most recent before yours) post to this thread was like 2 1/2 years ago (almost to the day) :hide... Ah well... be that as it may, please feel free to jump in wherever you please :) You mentioned that you live in CA. You really should put at least your general location in your profile as location is pretty important if you ask for or give advice or help. Please also consider doing a brief introduction in the new member section so folks can welcome you properly. Make yourself at home!

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would go with a gun over a dog. As others have posted, coyotes are good at luring a dog away and then the pack will be waiting. Ive heard of peoples dogs in the area that this has happened to. Maybe you could check with some other neighbors with livestock and see what they do to control these predators? I would sure hate to read you lost one of your furry babies to one of these nasty critters.

Rammy

Steve Quintavalli

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You need a Llama or a full size female donkey. They can dispatch a whole pack of coyotes all by themselves and they have a natural "hate" for canids like dogs, coyotes, foxes, or wolves.

Yea, I have heard and seen images/videos of donkeys destroying predators but I didn't know llamas could, I thought they just scared them...

Steve Quintavalli

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm no expert at this, but I think the goal with a livestock guard dog is to keep predators away.

Their presence is 90% of their job.

If yours have to do battle with packs of coyotes, I think you are in trouble.

I'm not familiar with any breed bred to kill coyotes.

Guns, night vision goggles and late nights seems what you need. Maybe poisoned bait.

Yea, a 22-250 with thermal sights, silencer, and subsonic ammo.....no one will ever know.

Steve Quintavalli

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I also have an English Mastiff and she is wonderful at chasing coyotes away and keeping the predators from coming onto the property. I'm sure she would kill one if she could catch it, but alas, English Mastiffs are pretty slow when it comes to the runners of the dog world.

I do have a Malamute/ German Shepherd/ Wolf mix that if I let him off his run he will actually hunt and chase down coyotes and kill them. I have heard him in the middle of the night killing coyotes (before we put him in his run). But he does all this of his own volition and I think it was because he was raised out on an Indian Reservation hunting and doing wild things.

However, I agree with the above poster. The job of a LGD is to "scare away" the predators before they ever get close enough. And I too can't fathom why 5 dogs wouldn't be enough for coyotes. :idunno

Yea, the LGDs should be keeping the coyotes at bay, which it seems like they are doing, right? Nothing has been taken? Anyway, if the coyotes learn they will die if they go after the livestock the rest should learn to stay clear. If all the coyotes die, then new coyotes will take up residence and you have to start over again....so I have read, I have no real world experience but it seems to work that with nefarious human groups.

halopay

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Those bastards won’t stand a chance
Navy seal = ridgeback
to Human to Dog

There’s no better all around, stronger, faster, protective hunter killer.