BEST COYOTE KILLER BREEDS - SUGGESTIONS!

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Australian Cattle Dpgs are very tough. I have heard that they are harder on sheep though since they are bred for working cattle which need a tougher dog who is not gentle.

They are great farm dogs though and like you said are game for anything. We had an Australian Shepherd X Cattle dog cross years ago, and he was super aggressive towards neighbor dogs and coyotes coming in after our animals. I got him for the children from a friend who was giving away the pups. He was great - super sharp, easily trained and a tough little guy. Sadly he was poisoned, we think by a neighbor who was putting out poison bait for rodents, etc. We don't know how he got hold of it, and our vet worked on him for days but no use.:(
It's hard losing a good dog!

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My neighbour just stopped by for eggs and said that he was looking for an exceptional coyote killer dog...he just saw 6 of them this morning and our dogs have been going nuts! My two Pyrs are locked in the sheep pen, so the sheep are safe but I am nervous about my rabbits and 3 goat kids in the pen a few hundred feet away.

Anyways he has 5 dogs including a GP but they can't seem to catch and kill those pests and he has 350 goat herd in kidding season. I can see why he wants the coyotoes taken care of. He was looking for a Russian Wolfhound but nothing remotely in our area and it seems most are mostly show not working lines.

Any suggestions, need something with some speed as I think the regular dogs (Pyr, Shepherd, cattle dogs are getting out run)?
Some of the dogs that can easily kill a coyote include Caucasian Ovcharka,American Bulldog, Central Asian Shepherd, Kangal, Anatolian Shepherd, Sarplain, Black Russian Territory, Komodor, Neopolitan Mastiff, Cane Corso, Rhodesiam Ridgeback, Akita, Rottweiler, Presa De Canario, Dogo Argentino,

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Again, please note that while these dogs can and will kill coyotes that bother their flocks, their first line of defense is to establish a warning perimeter with smell (marking their boundaries with urine) and barking. They will not deliberately kill hunt down and kill predators around them unless those predators come in after the animals. Their first driven instinct is to protect their livestock, not to hunt down and kill other animals.

If your neighbor wants to hunt down the coyotes he needs to hire or train a hunting pair, trio, or pack of his own. Then go out with them and once they have tracked the coyotes and are holding them, shoot the coyotes. Training his dogs to hunt and kill coyotes on their own is asking for trouble.

Does your neighbor have LGDs now? Has your neighbor lost any stock? If the answer is "Yes" he has LGDS, and "No" he has not lost stock then his dogs are working just fine. If he does not have any LGDs, then he needs some. If he wants dogs that are about 10 months old and trained. I know of a woman in Idaho who has several working Anatolians she might be willing to sell. She has coyotes, fox, wolves, bear and cougar after her sheep so these dogs are working now against these predators. She has too many which is why she would be willing to sell a couple. I have a bitch out of the litter she bred 18 months ago, and Angel has been working well with my other 2 Anatolians for the past year. The lady's name is Debra Buckner. Her email is debra@elkhornbnb.com. I get nothing from her for telling people about her dogs. Erick Conard in Texas, long time breeder of working Anatolians will also vouch for her and her dogs. Her dogs are good workers, healthy, the parents are OFA certified, she has a guarantee and contract.

Please try to dissuade your neighbor from trying to buy dogs trained or "guaranteed to kill coyotes". It is a bad idea and the dogs will eventually kill other things unless properly confined and managed.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My neighbour just stopped by for eggs and said that he was looking for an exceptional coyote killer dog...he just saw 6 of them this morning and our dogs have been going nuts! My two Pyrs are locked in the sheep pen, so the sheep are safe but I am nervous about my rabbits and 3 goat kids in the pen a few hundred feet away.

Anyways he has 5 dogs including a GP but they can't seem to catch and kill those pests and he has 350 goat herd in kidding season. I can see why he wants the coyotoes taken care of. He was looking for a Russian Wolfhound but nothing remotely in our area and it seems most are mostly show not working lines.

Any suggestions, need something with some speed as I think the regular dogs (Pyr, Shepherd, cattle dogs are getting out run)?
Some of the dogs that can easily kill a coyote include: Caucasian Ovcharka, Central Asian Shepherd, Kangal, Anatolian Shepherd, Sarplain, Black Russian Zone, Komodor, Neopolitan Mastiff, Cane Corso, Ameeeican Bulldog, Rhodesiam Ridgeback, Akita, Rottweiler, Presa De Canario, Dogo Argentino,