Best disbudding iron

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
When my bucks get disbudded I can usually count on them having to be done 3 times about 2-3 weeks apart to get all the scurs. That usually does it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
But it is better than scurs if they are staying in my herd. Nothing better than a dead goat in the fence because his scurs got stuck and he won't back out. On a hot day...104°+...dead can happen.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When my Saanen buck gets scurs, they are not very hard, and seem hollow. They fall off every couple months, which I'm kinda glad, so I don't have to trim them. Do you think if we burned the base when they fall off, they would stop growing?

I have seen bucks, though with scurs that might as well be full out horns in weird shapes.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:idunno

We bought a buck that when the original owner bought him from the breeder he had scurs... she had a full removal done... he still ended up having a little growth but not too bad.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know if burning would do any good or not. I usually go and have a removal done, I need to do one this winter. I try to be more diligent on the bucks but my mini Alpine buckling has scurs and he was burned twice. Darn.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I forgot to add my comments.

We clip the head. They will yell as much for the clipping as the burning.

We burn each bud 6 seconds. I hold the goat, Maurine applies the iron. I do a slow count, one thousand one, one thousand two. You need to apply some pressure on the head with the iron also, helps to keep it from sliding. We burn each bud for 6 seconds and then apply and ice pack. We make sure the head is cooled back off.

We then burn each bud an additional 6 seconds.

We apply the ice again.

Then we spray on some burn spray. Shield their eyes and be careful none runs into their eyes.

We use a buck tip for our bucks. It is larger and tear dropped shape. It burns a larger area and is supposed to keep you from having to do a figure 8 with the round tip. I think it's actually less heat on the brain.
We have definitely had less scurs, and/or smaller scurs.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I forgot to add my comments.

We clip the head. They will yell as much for the clipping as the burning.

We burn each bud 6 seconds. I hold the goat, Maurine applies the iron. I do a slow count, one thousand one, one thousand two. You need to apply some pressure on the head with the iron also, helps to keep it from sliding. We burn each bud for 6 seconds and then apply and ice pack. We make sure the head is cooled back off.

We then burn each bud an additional 6 seconds.

We apply the ice again.

Then we spray on some burn spray. Shield their eyes and be careful none runs into their eyes.

We use a buck tip for our bucks. It is larger and tear dropped shape. It burns a larger area and is supposed to keep you from having to do a figure 8 with the round tip. I think it's actually less heat on the brain.
We have definitely had less scurs, and/or smaller scurs.

we had problems this year with disbudding and now have scurs growing back :he