Best dog that protects animals and kids?

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello! Sorry I didn't really know where to post this but whatever. I am wondering what breeds of dogs you all have? We are looking into getting a dog. We would like to get one that can protect chickens and goats but not really be totally bonded to them. It will be bonded to us, if that makes any sense. Has low/no prey drive and is not massive (under 100lbs). It needs to get along with kids and care for them and protect them. Not to hard to train but will listen closely to commands. We don't have a large field are anything but we do have 3 acers of land that it would be able to wander. It would have an electric collar so if it gets past our property it will get shocked (we have a lot of dog catchers in our area so we wouldn't want it to get lost). He would be an indoor outdoor dog and be able to protect his family, animals, and his property. We live in Arizona so it gets kinda hot here so it needs to be able withstand harsh weather in the summer(80-100 degrees) and in the winter cold ( 40-27 degrees). We were thinking about a Polish Tatra Sheepdog but they are rare and hard to find here in the states, if anyone has any I would love to hear your experince with them! I know that is a lot to ask for in a breed but hopefully you guys might have some suggestions for us. Open to any ideas on a breed. Thanks!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most guardian type dogs are not great obedience wise, and need decent input/training.

And... most guardian type dogs need a really good normal style fence.

Then again.... I have only had one Pyrenees, and the electric bark collar was a total unmitigated bust.

We tried an electric fence with a mastiff, again, a total unmitigated bust.

But... we didn't try the electric fence with the Pyrenees.

I REALLY liked the Pyrenees for being great with kids (but still, obedience is not their thing, you have to train). We had ours in Texas, and heat wasn't a problem with him.

He was also very gentle with all animals.

However, lots of drool, shedding, and constant barking, and yes, you need a good fence.

You can get a Pyrenees in the under 100 pounds category.

Careful of the herding type dogs as they can be hyper house dogs and some can be quite nippy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you do not have a GOOD fence, preferably with a hot wire at the top to discourage jumping out and a hot wire at the bottom to discourage digging out, then please do NOT get any of the livestock guardian breeds.

The shock collars and buried wire fence is totally useless with LGDs. All that does is make sure that when they run through it, not if, but when, it will be just enough to make sure they don’t come back home.

LGDs also don’t take commands unless they want to. They are independent thinkers and don’t need you to tell them what to do. It can be frustrating to someone who doesn’t understand how they work.

My male Great Pyrenees has jumped FIVE interior fences to get to the front fence when a bunch of bike riders came down our country road. The exterior fence is hot wired. He then started jumping the front gate. We raised the height by wiring pieces of rebar to the gate, then wiring 2’ of chicken wire to the rebar. Then the stinker figured out that the gate posts on either side were only 4’ high, so back out to hang 2”X4” horse wire on them, raising it by 2’ also.

Some LGDs don’t make hard wired, dedicated LGDs that would rather spend their lives in the barn and fields. There are a few that would rather live inside on the sofa. But not many. Even so, they still have all the roaming instincts of a LGD.

What you are looking for is a farm dog that centers his world on your family and barks at a few varmits. I would recommend a Labrador or Labrador mix. That is a hunting breed but many make excellent house and family dogs.

Basically all dogs must be trained to chickens. Chickens are the ultimate squeaky toy! When one stops squawking and flapping, just get another one! Wheee!!! What fun! They also must be trained to livestock, the babies are tempting when they are running and bouncing around. Even LGDs as young dogs, need guidance and training.

Without a strong fence, I cannot recommend a LGD of any breed. Labrador or Golden Retriever both make excellent family and farm dogs.
I hope this helps.

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We do have a hot wire around our property. Sorry I forgot to mention it. :hide I wasn't really think a Lgd but just a medium sized-large sized dog that would attack predators if they try to get into our property. What I have read about lgd is that they are bonded to their flock not their owners so I would want something that is bonded to us. Something that would follow the kids around when they are playing in the wash or taking the goats on a walk down the driveway. Something more along the lines of a guard dog. Not a true lgd.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
we have a lab/austirlian sheppard mix she great. she has protected our live stock and the kids but she also young and been known to kill a few birds and bunnies. with our first goats she would herd them when we introduced a new female goat thr goat was very agressive towards the dog and would head butt her violently. she will find lost critters keep stray cats, skunks, coyotes away. but you going to put in alot of training time even with a good dog. she excellent but we are constantly training she loves to work and play but she can be a nightmare even with training sometimes.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Currently in New Delhi, India, originally Bihar
In my country the most popular shepherd's dog breed is Alabai or a Central Asian Shepherd. They were imported to India from the Soviet Union and was distributed to the herding tribes. They are large, robust, healthy, hardy and tolerate heat and cold equally. They eat what the shepherds eat and they have no land and they have no fencing. They mostly wander from one place to another.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even a hot wire isn’t enough to keep a dog in. If you are ok with your dog wandering around, then go for it. Around here a loose dog is an annoyance. If they get in a pasture, they may get shot. There are loose dogs, but they are subject to getting run over or coyote bait. I guess what I’m trying to say is without a good fence, you are taking your chances. If it’s a great dog that you truly care about, someone will steal it. If it’s a stupid dog that isn’t much good, it will live 20 years! LOL

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our Pyrenees bonded to the family and was excellent with our baby and toddler.

We had a three foot tall chainlink fence, and the only time he got out was when we left the gate wide open.....

So, not all Pyrenees are as problematic to contain as @Baymule 's. BUT, you of course don't know what you will get until after you get it.

I think her description of obedience training is spot on and true of all Pyrenees.

We currently have a 1/2 Australian Sheppard. Nippy breed. It would be a bad choice with tiny kids and babies.

The Mastiff we had was stellar with babies and toddlers.

I was given a dog breed book eons ago... it is nice, lists breeds by obedience, nippiness, that kind of thing.

Maybe you need to grab one of those and read through, see what breed fits best.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can get a Pyredoodle. 1/2 poodle 1/2 Pyrenees. Helps with training, shedding, etc. I have 2 and they are wonderful dogs. Great guard and family dogs. Don’t mess with my livestock or granddaughter.

Here they both are with my Aussie puppy.

Attachments

• C80B4083-95CE-470F-880B-19688DE6F05D.jpeg
    C80B4083-95CE-470F-880B-19688DE6F05D.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 146
  • D4361B3C-562F-476F-BE92-F1092BC13D4F.jpeg
    D4361B3C-562F-476F-BE92-F1092BC13D4F.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 144