Best dog that protects animals and kids?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hounds are also breeds that like to roam. Hounds are also harder to train. They like to hunt. This makes your free ranging chickens and small livestock very attractive to them as prey. They also need good fencing.

All livestock guardian breeds MUST HAVE GOOD FENCES. Pyrenees are definitely roamers. Some will stay inside fencing but their way to guard is to set a perimeter where they feel it is safe - this is not necessarily your fence line or property boundary. Ours guarded 100 acres - we owned only 6 acres. There are differences in individual dogs, but we have had 5 Pyrs and they all roamed and were next to impossible to keep inside fencing. I have actually seen a grown Pyr get through a piece of stock panel that was missing ONE wire! They use their extra toes to climb chain link fences. Seen this too. Loved them and their temperament but switched to Anatolians as livestock guardians after 20 years when the neighborhood built up. I want my LGDs WITH the sheep not repelling predators up to 2 miles away. .

The sporting breeds are good choices for kids and families. Good home protectors but not so aggressive. They can be trained to leave home poultry, rabbits, and livestock alone. Very trainable too for families and good with kids.

I lie Australian Shepherds for farm dogs. They are not as motivated to herd, are protective, very trainable, and once trained never forget. I have had no problems with nippiness towards children. I find that female dogs of whatever breed are less tolerant of children who tease them. Their attitude towards children is like their attitude towards their own puppies so if your children tease them to excess they will discipline the children. Large male dogs are surprisingly much more tolerant with children (and puppies). They will take just abut any amount of toddler abuse. My dogs used to get up on the bed to avoid the toddlers when they had enough.

Whatever breed you decide on, check out the breeder very carefully. Talk to people that have bought dogs from them about temperaments. Make sure that the puppies are from breeders that do hip and elbow OFA x-rays and any genetic tests that are specific to the breed. Different breeds have different genetic problems that will cost you lots of money, heart ache and grief if you get a puppy that develops the problem. Reputable breeders guarantee their puppies against these diseases.

The initial cost of the puppy must be balanced against these possible future medical issues. The normal life span of a dog is about 12-14years depending in the size and how it is kept. While the initial price of a dog that has had these medical and genetic tests and guarantees may seem high, divide it by the lifespan of the dog and compare the annual cost with the cost of medical treatment for a dog that develops dysplasia, blood disorders, heart problems, retinal atrophy, PRCD, degenerative myopathy, etc.

While none of thee diseases may occur, I le to cut the chances by buying my dogs from breeders that do the testing and guarantee my puppy. Nothing like getting a sweet puppy for your children to adore and in a year or two having to euthanize it for some incurable disease or because you can't afford the massive $$$ in vet bills. :hit

Since you don't have any fencing and want a combination house dog/farm guard, I would stay away from all the livestock guardian breeds since they all require tall strong fences. I love my Anatolians and they suit us now, but I would not have them if I did not have sheep to protect. I am a firm believer in strict obedience training for family dogs. For a family dog I want it to come, sit, down, stay, and heel on command without a leash - and do it immediately. Immediate obedience is safer for them and for you. Not happening with LGDs, hounds, or even terriers. LOL They all have minds of their own and have not been bred for generations to obey human commands.

You might want to rethink fencing at least a yard around your house for your dog. And keep up the rattlesnake venom vaccinations in Arizona.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some bloodlines are different. And individual dogs also. Loved the Pyrs temperament but we had to rehome one Pyr that would go over the fence and have to be picked up from 2-3 miles away. Sent her to a 1200 acre farm and 2 years later got a call about her (she was microchipped and the new owners had never reregistered her with the service). Another dog would go over the fence at night and be in the yard in the am. we only found this out when he got hit by a car a mile away in the middle of the night. We thought he was inside all the time! 3 others just kept the surrounding 100 acres and neighbors' places predator free. After 20 years we decided to go with a different breed. Our Anatolians stay inside the fences.

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hounds are also breeds that like to roam. Hounds are also harder to train. They like to hunt. This makes your free ranging chickens and small livestock very attractive to them as prey. They also need good fencing.

All livestock guardian breeds MUST HAVE GOOD FENCES. Pyrenees are definitely roamers. Some will stay inside fencing but their way to guard is to set a perimeter where they feel it is safe - this is not necessarily your fence line or property boundary. Ours guarded 100 acres - we owned only 6 acres. There are differences in individual dogs, but we have had 5 Pyrs and they all roamed and were next to impossible to keep inside fencing. I have actually seen a grown Pyr get through a piece of stock panel that was missing ONE wire! They use their extra toes to climb chain link fences. Seen this too. Loved them and their temperament but switched to Anatolians as livestock guardians after 20 years when the neighborhood built up. I want my LGDs WITH the sheep not repelling predators up to 2 miles away. .

The sporting breeds are good choices for kids and families. Good home protectors but not so aggressive. They can be trained to leave home poultry, rabbits, and livestock alone. Very trainable too for families and good with kids.

I lie Australian Shepherds for farm dogs. They are not as motivated to herd, are protective, very trainable, and once trained never forget. I have had no problems with nippiness towards children. I find that female dogs of whatever breed are less tolerant of children who tease them. Their attitude towards children is like their attitude towards their own puppies so if your children tease them to excess they will discipline the children. Large male dogs are surprisingly much more tolerant with children (and puppies). They will take just abut any amount of toddler abuse. My dogs used to get up on the bed to avoid the toddlers when they had enough.

Whatever breed you decide on, check out the breeder very carefully. Talk to people that have bought dogs from them about temperaments. Make sure that the puppies are from breeders that do hip and elbow OFA x-rays and any genetic tests that are specific to the breed. Different breeds have different genetic problems that will cost you lots of money, heart ache and grief if you get a puppy that develops the problem. Reputable breeders guarantee their puppies against these diseases.

The initial cost of the puppy must be balanced against these possible future medical issues. The normal life span of a dog is about 12-14years depending in the size and how it is kept. While the initial price of a dog that has had these medical and genetic tests and guarantees may seem high, divide it by the lifespan of the dog and compare the annual cost with the cost of medical treatment for a dog that develops dysplasia, blood disorders, heart problems, retinal atrophy, PRCD, degenerative myopathy, etc.

While none of thee diseases may occur, I le to cut the chances by buying my dogs from breeders that do the testing and guarantee my puppy. Nothing like getting a sweet puppy for your children to adore and in a year or two having to euthanize it for some incurable disease or because you can't afford the massive $$$ in vet bills. :hit

Since you don't have any fencing and want a combination house dog/farm guard, I would stay away from all the livestock guardian breeds since they all require tall strong fences. I love my Anatolians and they suit us now, but I would not have them if I did not have sheep to protect. I am a firm believer in strict obedience training for family dogs. For a family dog I want it to come, sit, down, stay, and heel on command without a leash - and do it immediately. Immediate obedience is safer for them and for you. Not happening with LGDs, hounds, or even terriers. LOL They all have minds of their own and have not been bred for generations to obey human commands.

You might want to rethink fencing at least a yard around your house for your dog. And keep up the rattlesnake venom vaccinations in Arizona.
Our cats take care of the rattlesnakes. ;) But yes I will vaccinate. We do have a large chain link dog yard it is about 5 ft tall. We would put him there when people are over and such but we might have to put up another hot wire....the javalinas have found their way in again!

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Some bloodlines are different. And individual dogs also. Loved the Pyrs temperament but we had to rehome one Pyr that would go over the fence and have to be picked up from 2-3 miles away. Sent her to a 1200 acre farm and 2 years later got a call about her (she was microchipped and the new owners had never reregistered her with the service). Another dog would go over the fence at night and be in the yard in the am. we only found this out when he got hit by a car a mile away in the middle of the night. We thought he was inside all the time! 3 others just kept the surrounding 100 acres and neighbors' places predator free. After 20 years we decided to go with a different breed. Our Anatolians stay inside the fences.
Where did you get them? Do you breed them ore ever have puppies? You are not to far from us. Also we do have 2 goats. They are not on a pasture though.

Last edited:

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
These are the dog we were thinking about what do you think?
Golden Retriver
Polish Tatra Sheepdog
Catahoula Dog
Australian Sheppard
Akbash
Rottweiler
Collie
Border Collie
I Don't know if I can think of anything else. If you guys have any more ideas or what I should take off the list I would be glad to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Border collies MUST. HAVE. WORK. TO. KEEP. THEM. BUSY. No such thing as a relaxed Border Collie. LOL

I’ve had several Australian Shepherds, full size, not the “minis” that are popular now. Great dogs, brilliant smart and easy to train. They usually select one person as “theirs”

Latest posts