Best door type to loafing stall for small new England goat mini-barn?

seachick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We'll have a few Nigerian Dwarf does in a small 12 x 16 shed with a couple of stalls (larger loafing stall, smaller kidding. I'm really confused as to the best type of door to put on the communal stall. If it's a regular hinged door, then when shut it will keep out drafts but when open it's a large opening.. If it's a sliding door, it can be opened just enough for a goat to pass through which would be great in winter, but sliding doors are inherently draftier since they don't seal into a door frame.

I live in Maine. Cold winters. The stall is about 6 feet x 7 feet, so they could conceivable tuck away in one end away from drafts if it's a slider, but is that ideal? I'd love your input, since I can't seem to find the answer!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
What about building a dutch door, you would have total control of air flow in the summer..... and in winter you can keep top closed and prop bottom open enough for goats to come and go.......

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have bottom half doors only here (florida) , but comming from new england , the dutch work great....good luck to you and enjoy your critters !
Think about which way you want them to open....inward is great for snow time but uses more floor space......out , you may have to shovel to get in, if there is not a very large step ....

Latest posts