Best fly control method

Suzy74

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What have you all found that is the best method to control flies around your outdoor rabbitry? We also keep bees so it needs to be something non-toxic. I've always felt like fly strips attract more flies than they catch so looking for some new ideas.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fly strips, fly traps placed at least 50' from the livestock, and fly predators. The predators are key

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use fans also. And (DE ) diatomaceous earth sprinkled in the poop trays to kill larva. Not sure that wouldn't kill bees but never see any in the rabbit shed. :idunno though they could come in contact in the compost pile.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
DE also kills bees. Great stuff other than that. The way I have mine is for the rabbits in cages to do their thing, then chickens to compost it. I don't think I can remember having any problems with flies.

Probably doesn't help if you don't have chickens though, sorry.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chickens. Yeah, still have flies BUT fewer -- way fewer. The chickens scratch thru the matter that the flies have laid eggs, eating and making into eggs.

:lol: if those people in Wally World actually knew what chickens eat, they'd never buy an egg! That said, I will collect those eggs from free rangers, milk my goats & drink raw, sweet milk, make into cheese & butter & laugh. My customers love my eggs!!

(I share with the chickens, they love milk, especially if soured)