Best Goat

danielburns271

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a farm, and I want to produce more milk from goats...What is the best kind of goat for milk production?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well Daniel, ask 10 folks this question and you will probably get 15 answers, all different and none of them would be wrong.

It is going to depend on what you want to do... mission dictates equipment.

Want lots of milk, then you may want to look at the standard size dairy goat breeds... nubian, lamancha, etc. Large does, large capacity.

Want enough milk for your family and some extra for cheese, yogurt, soap then you may want to look at a smaller breed like the Nigerian Dwarfs. I am partial to my little goaties for many, many reasons. First off there is just the two of us so we don't need gallons on a daily basis. Currently I'm milking one doe and just started milking a second doe and between the two does I'm getting 5-6 cups a day. We don't use that much so I do get an accumulation that allows us to make cheese or yogurt.

How much room do you have for your goats? Do you want to handle/control a full size goat or are you more comfortable with a smaller animal?

All goaties are lovable, crazy, loaded with personality and charm so it really does come down to what are your needs/desires/land constraints/time constraints/pocketbook constraints.

Oh, of course you know you can't have just one. Two are better, four are delightful and watch out because the next number is eight!

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
For fluid milk the Saanen is the biggest producer.
For milk solids (cheese making) not much ever beats a toggenburg.

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Saanens are my favorite breed. But i have to disagree that just one in milk is enough for a family. My first freshener was giving me over a gallon a day last spring, and my kids drank so much, i very rarely had enough milk to make cheese, and never did make any yogurt. I'm hoping to have 3 in milk next spring so i can make cheese and yogurt a well as have milk for my kids to drink. I don't even drink milk myself, and my hubby almost never does either, so it was just the kids!

Hobby Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've owned Saanens, LaMachas, Oberhaslis, and Alpines. I currently have 3 Obies and 1 Alpine. Of these, I defiantly prefer the Obies. I have held on to my Alpine because she is a good milker and isn't bossy like many Alpines. Reasons I love my Obies:

Appearance - When I first started looking at different goat breeds, I like the way they looked more than any other breed. I know that seems shallow, but when you take care of an animal on a daily basis, I think it's important to like the looks of the animal.

Great milkers - All of them hit at least 1 gallon a day at some point during their first lactation.
Milk is sweeter and has more fat than the others
Easy to milk and good milk stand temperament
They also maintain their production longer. Two of my Obies still give good milk in December when the other have really fallen off.

Temperament - My Obies are very to themselves. They don't go looking for trouble and only respond when they are challenged. They also seemed to be more curious and aware than other breeds I've kept. All three of them enter the parlor slowly, and make sure everything is as normal before proceeding.

I know other breeds have these same qualities, but this is why I prefer them.

My wife and I have 4 children, and we've found that 4 goats is perfect for us. We have more than enough milk from June thru September, but we need to have 4 of them to have enough milk when production slows down during the shorter days.

Goodluck finding the breed for you. Owning dairy goats is very rewarding, and I can't imagine not having them on our farm.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I really love my Nubians. They are personable, calm, don't get into trouble, don't get out of their pens, etc. All around great goats. At first I was turned off by the roman nose, but when I saw them in person I actually ended up liking them better than the others. They give me a ton of milk and are really easy milkers. I milked 5 this last year and was getting about 30 gallons a week. We are dry now (no milk) because everyone is pregnant, so this year I hope to have 4-5 in milk and then have another 4 to stagger halfway through the year so we can have milk year round with no dry period. I love my Nubians!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
I really love my Nubians. They are personable, calm, don't get into trouble, don't get out of their pens, etc. All around great goats. At first I was turned off by the roman nose, but when I saw them in person I actually ended up liking them better than the others. They give me a ton of milk and are really easy milkers. I milked 5 this last year and was getting about 30 gallons a week. We are dry now (no milk) because everyone is pregnant, so this year I hope to have 4-5 in milk and then have another 4 to stagger halfway through the year so we can have milk year round with no dry period. I love my Nubians!
We always seem to end up with Nubians beside our pens at shows. They stick there heads through and steal our hay. If I scold them they just look at me with those big brown eyes :)

Latest posts