Best Hay Buggy Style?

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need to get round bales because squares are $$. There are several types of used buggies on FB marketplace. Does anyone have opnions on which are better? Are they equally road worth?
Screenshot_20221211-130024_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20221211-130037_Facebook~2.jpgScreenshot_20221211-130028_Facebook.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no idea. We just always had it loaded in the back of the truck, backed up real fast and slammed on the brakes. LOL The buggy looks like a much better option. How do you get it off with no tractor?

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
How do you get it off with no tractor?
Winch. Lower winch, back up, raise winch, move bale.

Speaking of winchs, I only seen one on the green one. I like that style personally. It's a simple design. Not sure if the others have a separate mechanical way of picking up the bale.
On the winch design (the green one) there is nothing I can't easily fix or replace. Or move the winch farther forward for an easier pull.
Side note, while putting out a bale yesterday, I was glad I didn't have to use one of those. I think the truck couldn't have gotten in and out where I wanted it. But if that's what you got, drop it where you can and drive out.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've backed a truck, or trailer, depending on transport....wrapped a rope around bale, tied to ?? something and drive away. Bale drops off. Here, the bale isn't worth the extra expense of a personal carrier :lol: don't use enough.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are handy or necessary in some cases. If you get several bales delivered, say a dump trailer full it's not possible to load it onto the truck/trailer later. If you can drive to the place of purchase and have them load every bale 1 at a time when you need it that works. Most people do not want to have to be around to load your 1 bale throughout the winter. With the buggy no need for another person with the tractor to load you.

It can save time (going back for another bale), money (the fuel to go back) and ensure you get the hay instead of them feeding or selling what you thought was yours, on purpose or accident, by getting a full load brought to your house or the house of someone closer who can unload them, even if he/she has to borrow the tractor to unload.

3rd case. look at the back of my truck. :lol: ;) The car has more room for feed than my truck.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
More info: we do not have a tractor or a pickup truck. We also have a feed store that is 3miles from home that sells round bales. We have access to a 16ft trailer and pickup for getting several bales.

The whole tractor vs buggy vs backhoe vs everything money question.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boy, do I ever know that! My Kubota won’t pick up a round bale. In Lindale we bought all our hay and paid $10 extra per bale for him to come set a bale because we couldn’t.

Sometimes your haves are outnumbered by your have nots.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a bale buggy and it will basically load its self. I have not used it for Years.... because we have the bale beds on the trucks.
I have no opinion, they have some advantages. ALOT cheaper than putting a $12,000 new bale bed on a pick up....you can pull them with a small pickup or an suv because the weight is on the bale bed.
The one in the center is most like ours. You back it up to the bale and the top "spikes" go down over the bale and pulling forward will cause the bottom "support metal cradle" to push the bale forward and you use the pulley If there is one, to crank it forward also. The top spikes will hold it on and the bottom keeps it up off the ground.
If you go look at one/any... tell them you need a demonstration on how it works. If they want to sell it, they will show you...

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
So you're looking for a way to transport a single round bale TO your farm??? Or just to move it from storage ON your farm to the pasture?
Yes, I'm considering both. I can maybe find someone to deliver about 4 bales into a pile on the farm with extra $35 delivery charge. Or I can buy 4 at the local feed store and ferry them one at a time for ~$2.50 (20mpg@ $2.50). Once on the farm, I'm going to need to move them around.

Latest posts