Best hay for market lambs???

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hay what type of hay should I do for my market lamb next year? I am in Florida and hay prices are skyrocketing. I have costal and alfalfa for sale near me.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hay what type of hay should I do for my market lamb next year? I am in Florida and hay prices are skyrocketing. I have costal and alfalfa for sale near me.
Coastal is a standard type of hay.

How much nutrition it has depends on 8f it is a nice leafy green.... or more stems and brown. (Leafy green is better)

Alfalfa hay is much higher in protein, so is usually used to .... increase protein in the diet. ;) Increased protein is good for animals in milk.

I have never done lambs.... but with goats I was happy to feed kids "regular" hay and just a cup of goat pellets.

Not sure the best choice for a market lamb.

If you have a good place to store the hay.... so no sunlight, excellent ventilation, and no moisture.... then hay stores very well, and keeps nutrition. So.... you could buy in advance, if the prices look great. Up here, least expensive is if you buy in the field the day it is cut.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Coastal is a standard type of hay.

How much nutrition it has depends on 8f it is a nice leafy green.... or more stems and brown. (Leafy green is better)

Alfalfa hay is much higher in protein, so is usually used to .... increase protein in the diet. ;) Increased protein is good for animals in milk.

I have never done lambs.... but with goats I was happy to feed kids "regular" hay and just a cup of goat pellets.

Not sure the best choice for a market lamb.

If you have a good place to store the hay.... so no sunlight, excellent ventilation, and no moisture.... then hay stores very well, and keeps nutrition. So.... you could buy in advance, if the prices look great. Up here, least expensive is if you buy in the field the day it is cut.
Good to know. Thanks I now know not to get the hay that looks like straw…

Latest posts