Best internment for LGD puppy?

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Haha, we have a hen that refuses to go back in the coop. Ever. She sleeps in the sheep's hay bale and made her nest in Sentry's dog house! :he Thanks a LOT Joy-Chicken for making Sentry an egg sucking dog! He'll stick his head in his dog house to see if she's done yet. I've even heard him "MIRF" at her, like he's telling her to hurry up before Mom gets the egg! Durn chicken!
Recently I've found an egg 2 different times in the goats feed bucket. I'm thinking the same chicken has laid in the goat shed right on the floor in the hay. I couldn't believe that the girls didn't step on it. What is she thinking? lots of space in the coop to lay.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of my girls decided the best place to lay was in the hay in the alpacas' wall feeder :thShe had to fly up to the top of the gate (only about 3.5') then fly to the feeder 5' away and another 2' up. I ended up putting a board over the feeder and she went back to using the nests in the coop.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
NO! LGDs are the OPPOSITE of herding dogs. LGD's watch the flock and ward off predators. The only reason they would herd the flock/herd is to move them away from danger. They work on their own, not at the command of a human. If the human had to be in the vicinity of the LGD for it to do its job, there would be no purpose for the LGD.

A herding dog's job is to move the flock/herd where the human wants them to go. They work when the human tells them to and do what the human tells them to do. As far as a LGD is concerned, herding dogs ARE predators because they chase the animals. LGDs and herding dogs aren't in with the herd/flock at the same time.
Anyone with a good heart, we really need to have a puppy that we can raise to guard our garden and the animals around it. I hope someone can send a pup to raise. Thank you very much..

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We also need suggestions on how to stop her from eating eggs, she eats every egg she can find when we aren’t watching, if we are raking the barn, and she is in there with us, she won’t touch an egg, as soon as we leave to empty the wheel barrow, she eats the eggs. She isn’t hungry, because she has 24 hour access to food.

This is what my husband rigged to keep the dogs out of the coop. We put it up every morning and take down every evening.

58F5D6AC-0570-461A-82CE-3CFC6B1F3CF3.jpeg
99D87197-CDB9-4581-B689-59BFFDDEB92C.jpeg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is pretty much your only option, exclude the dog. Could that be attached to the door so it can swing with the door or be closed when the door is open? I'm thinking something like 3-4 eye straps screwed over the verticals on the door side.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is pretty much your only option, exclude the dog. Could that be attached to the door so it can swing with the door or be closed when the door is open? I'm thinking something like 3-4 eye straps screwed over the verticals on the door side.
I have no idea. My husband is the whiz. I’m sure there is a way. This is super simple and very secure.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a chicken that likes Sentry's dog house and she gifts him her eggs! Really?? In the freakin' DOG HOUSE??