best meat...best milk breed???

scrapmom5

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok y'all:

In your opinion what breed is the best for meat? and Why?

What is the best for milk? and Why?

What is the easiest to raise? and why?

What one breed is best for meat, milk, and easiest to raise overall?

Thanks.

:coolsun

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
scrapmom5 said:
Ok y'all:

In your opinion what breed is the best for meat? and Why?

What is the best for milk? and Why?

What is the easiest to raise? and why?

What one breed is best for meat, milk, and easiest to raise overall?

Thanks.

:coolsun
if your wanting a cow to produce milk an meat.id go with the jersey because she gives good rich milk.an jersey bull calves are lean an good eating.hence a cow that produces milk an beef.

scrapmom5

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am looking for a breed that fits each category and then one breed that fits all categories.

For the meat I want the most tender and best tasting. (Short of Wagyu Cattle and Kobe Beef...how do you message the cows?)

For milk I would love a good supply that is rich tasting.

For Easiest to raise I want something that can pretty much take care of itself and does not balk when you go near them.

I would also like one that would fit all categories one that has awesome meat, produces rich milk well and is easily taken care of. (If there is one).

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm going to toss a ring in for the Scottish Highland for best beef and easiest to raise.

Beef: Not sure the beef would be considered the most tender (some is, though, and depends on how you cook it, slow and low), but it's delicious and 40% leaner than conventional, plus less cholesterol, etc. Similar to bison. Studies have been done showing how it stacks up against game, conventional beef, etc., and it blew our minds! They have long double coats so they lack external fat - they don't need it! They do take a bit longer to mature (usually butchered at 2 years or older), and the meat does need to hang for at least 14 days for increased tenderness, but it is fantastically tasty!

Ease of raising: Scottish Highlands have only about a 1% rate of calving trouble, are great mothers, pretty darn mellow in spite of their horns, weather-proof (double coats keep them warm and dry, and cooler in summer), are a nice moderate size (they don't get giant), and browse rather than graze, so can live on grass, hay, brush, etc. Folks have used them to clear blackberry patches and other overwhelming brush piles on their properties...ours are "pruning" our dozens of errant apple trees!

Plus...they're beautiful! (But maybe I'm a bit biased...)

scrapmom5

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
amysflock said:
Plus...they're beautiful! (But maybe I'm a bit biased...)
I think they are beautiful too. How are they to milk?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I love our holstein/milking shorthorn crosses. They are more easy going and milk good. The shorthorn gives them more strength. We haven't butchered any but, I would think they would be good there too.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Scottish Highlands aren't noted for milk, so I don't think they're used for that. Maybe someone else can chime in on that part, though...

dairy_girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
scrapmom5 said:
I am looking for a breed that fits each category and then one breed that fits all categories.

For the meat I want the most tender and best tasting. (Short of Wagyu Cattle and Kobe Beef...how do you message the cows?)

For milk I would love a good supply that is rich tasting.

For Easiest to raise I want something that can pretty much take care of itself and does not balk when you go near them.

I would also like one that would fit all categories one that has awesome meat, produces rich milk well and is easily taken care of. (If there is one).
for the meat: angus

for the milk: holestein

for easiest to raise: any breed you have to work with them all to make them like you and you have to feed them all nomatter what!

all categories: i would pick a mutt, half holestein half beef would make a good milk cow and produce a good suply of milk.

prairiegirl

Just born
Reaction score
I'd have to recommend the Dexter breed. We've had them for 2 years and have found them to fit all our needs - ease of calving, good disposition (we are in contact with them daily), tasty, tender meat (just the right sized portions), fresh delicious milk (ours gives plenty of cream and just the right amount - we aren't swimming in milk). I'm sure there are many other reasons, just can't think of them now.

Dexters were the right choice for us.