best meat...best milk breed???

EmsoffLambs

Just born
Reaction score
I'm a real Jersey fan. We've owned three different Jersey nurse cows and they were all easy to handle...big babies in fact. Their milk is very rich and they make more than most single families can use in a day. We'd raise several calves at a time on them and the were wonderful mothers, always accepting the calves instantly.

We are also hooked on Jersey beef. We've eaten a lot of home raised beef, most of it Angus or Angus cross. But the Jersey beef absolutely blows the Angus out of the water with its tenderness and flavor. The USDA Meat Animal Research Center (MARC) has done studies comparing many different breeds for a wide variety of production traits and the Jersey excells all the common beef breeds for meat quality traits. Jerseys will grow slower and the cuts of meat are a lot smaller than the traditional beef breeds. But the quality of meat is outstanding.

The downside of Jerseys? They are not a self-sufficient breed. They require a LOT of feed to make their rich milk. And they aren't very tough. We'd just halter our cattle and tie them to a fence for any vet treatments. A couple of our cows would fall on their knees when we'd give them their vaccinations. They thought we were just killing them! They are just very gentle, docile cattle.

Another bonus to the Jerseys...They are very affordable. We've looked into the more "novelty" breeds like the Dexter, and they cost more than a full size cow, $1000 or more. But you can pick up a milking Jersey cow from a dairy, one that just isn't quite milking enough to earn her keep, for around $500-650. Baby Jersey bull calves are practically given away around here, selling for only $10 or less. No joke. If you go for a beef or holstien calf, you'll easily be spending $100-$200 for that baby calf. And the babies do have a high death rate, so that's a much bigger risk.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
at the dairy sale here you cant get any kind of jersey cow for less than $800 less she is 3 teated.an they usually have big baggs or mastitis.

EmsoffLambs

Just born
Reaction score
Cattle prices in general have gone up since we bought our last cow, but we were able to purchase the cows right from the dairy. This was nice because they had milking, breeding, calving, and health records of every cow. Might be worth checking out if you were interested in a Jersey, anyway.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've read that the Dexter is the best all-purpose breed, as well as being a hardy, heritage stock.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I heard Dexters are notorious escape artists...but don't know if that's actually true. One of the Highland breeders we talked to also has Dexters and he'd never had problems with escapees. We have no plans to milk so went with the meat-only Scottish Highland.

Rhinestone_Cowgirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Everyone will have their favorites and these are mine:

1. When we were in the dairy business we had all the dairy breeds. I preferred the Brown Swiss for milk. Their dispositions are really gentle and easy to work with. The milk is plentiful and has lots of cream. Plus they are really beautiful to look at. We had one we hand milked and made our own hand churned butter (yummy) and we had them in our dairy production herd as well.

2. The easiest in my opinion to raise is the original red Limousin. When we had them they had low birth weights, so we had no calving problems. They had high weaing weights. They did great at the stock yards/shows/feedlots. Ours were also picked by disposition, so they had calm dispositions.

Tarentaise were another breed that we had that gave lots of milk for their calves, were easy to work with and were all around beautiful cattle.

In both breeds they have darker pigment around their eyes, so it seemed the flies didn't bother and cause pink eye as much.

scrapmom5 said:
Ok y'all:

In your opinion what breed is the best for meat? and Why?

What is the best for milk? and Why?

What is the easiest to raise? and why?

What one breed is best for meat, milk, and easiest to raise overall?

Thanks.

:coolsun

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Rhinestone_Cowgirl said:
In both breeds they have darker pigment around their eyes, so it seemed the flies didn't bother and cause pink eye as much.
At market sales they prefer the animals with color around their eyes. I would have to assume maybe this could be at least one of the reasons.
Welcome.gif

Latest posts