best meat...best milk breed???

BeardedChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Good Dexters are really nice... The heifer I am milking was not handled at all, and she has been a perfect starter cow for me. Her temperament is excellent.

No trouble keeping her in the pasture, even as an only cow. We originally purchased two heifers, but one had an unfriendly temperament and was sold.

We are in dry, arid country and she lived in a field last year that had weeds only, no grass and she stayed healthy and produced a calf. Basically, she converted bindweed to a calf. Now THAT is a low maintenance animal! I can only imagine how well they'd do on lush pasture.

If I was going to buy another one, I'd look for strong dairy lines. We purchased from a nearby breeder, and didn't pay alot ($600). Didn't know how much I'd enjoy the cows. :) I wouldn't mind looking for a good dairy bred yearling this year...

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Everyone has their own best breed. My opinion for a best breed is a Belted Galloway (beltie), but that's because that cow suits me. Someone with less space could use a Dexter, someone who wants to do a lot of work in milking could get a Holstein. There is no best breed.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
GrassFarmerGalloway said:
Everyone has their own best breed. My opinion for a best breed is a Belted Galloway (beltie), but that's because that cow suits me. Someone with less space could use a Dexter, someone who wants to do a lot of work in milking could get a Holstein. There is no best breed.
I agree! The best breed is the one that best fits your needs.

In reference to an earlier comment on the thread. I have friends down the road who raise highlands for beef and do milk one for their own use.