Best mower for ROUGH terrain?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Remembering that this is BackyardHERDS. Decorative fencing across the front of the property, and a herd of attractive sheep?
Or a few of the really CUTE rabbits. And a couple of push mowers. Befriend the local HS cheerleader squad, invite them over to pet the bunnies each Saturday. Then when the teenage boys show up (because of) the cheerleaders, hand them a mower. Probably even get some free fence post work while the boys try to impress the girls with their strength and prowess. I'm old. Does this still work? I remember a neighbor of mine who got a lot of free labor out of me and some of my friends due to a couple of winsome daughters back in the day. Build it and they will come!
It SOUNDS great, but a lot of young people don’t want to work much...they’d rather be on their cell phones. That’s why there are so many ‘help wanted’ signs everywhere in our area. But, @Xerocles , you totally have the right idea!!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are these pipes laying on the ground, or protruding above the surface at all? I'm still confused as to why they are a problem.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
In my other life at another house some of the pipes were buried so shallow that if you drove over them with anything with any weight to it - they'd break even though they were technically underground.

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Are these pipes laying on the ground, or protruding above the surface at all? I'm still confused as to why they are a problem.

They are buried, but shallow enough that going over them with anything heavy is an issue. The zero-turn has been ok so far, but we have “found” a few with our ATV, so we’re very cautious.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like it might, long term, be of value to figure out which pipes are actually doing something and get those replaced and a fair bit deeper.

Of course here no one would think of putting a pipe so close to the surface that just driving over the area could damage them. They'd frost heave out of the ground in a few years anyway. No such problem down in TX.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello everyone! We have about 4 acres around our house (not our pastures) that my husband diligently mows to keep the bugs down and the living pleasant. He has been using a 60” zero-turn gravely mower for 8 years which has held up fairly well. Unfortunately, it has been getting more and more challenging, due to exploding pocket gophers, mild pig rooting (kunekune, not traditional farm pigs!), some dog digging, and changes in terrain due to torrential rains (we have some nice rolling to the land that is less-nice after multiple inches of rain!) The physical jarring for my husband has become so severe that he won’t even dream of letting me help (he is in excellent physical shape; I’m ... average! :)). Soooo, I’m looking into whether there is a different kind of mower that could better handle the really uneven areas (and that I could do, to help out on the task). I’ve never used a traditional riding lawnmower - anyone have good experiences? Or a “lawn tractor”? We do have a compact Deere 3038 tractor with shredder, but we can’t use it due to many obstructions and crisscrossing plumbing pipes (placed too shallowly by original owner), and we try to keep the grass shorter than the tractor could do, to minimize burrs and excessive crickets/grasshoppers in the summer (even with my 40-odd chickens helping).
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Top 5 best riding lawn mowers for uneven terrain in 2020
  1. Troy-Bilt 540cc Riding mower. It is a powerful gas-powered mower that works very well on rough terrain.
  2. Poulan Pro PP155H42 Riding Mower.
  3. Ryobi Electric Riding Mower.
  4. Husqvarna YTA18542 Tractor Mower.
  5. Husqvarna YTH22V42 Tractor Mower.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It SOUNDS great, but a lot of young people don’t want to work much...they’d rather be on their cell phones. That’s why there are so many ‘help wanted’ signs everywhere in our area. But, @Xerocles , you totally have the right idea!!
We possess 540cc Troy-Bilt Riding mower. It is a very powerful mower powered by gas that works fairly well on rough terrain. And now we've had that for years.

Latest posts