Best Show bird aka Patriarch Rock Bantam sick

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Because many poultry diseases are already "in" the bird. Some diseases are vertically transmitted, others horizontally transmitted. Many diseases are asymptomatic meaning the disease is there but there are no symptoms YET. Many require a trigger. Triggers can be travel stress, show stress, abrupt temp changes, severe storms that come through like tornado, hurricane etc.

Because MG is worldwide and it is in anywhere from 70-90 % of all exhibition flocks (this category includes backyard poultry) the chances are you and everyone you know has this... but until a trigger- you as well as everyone else thinks their flock is clean.
You can quarantine do all the right things but you may have had birds for 2 years with nothing and never step foot off property, never show, never add in but a trigger causes an outbreak...
Unless you test for certain things you do not know wether you are or not... Truthfully it is not advantageous to be on any of the "extra" programs NPIP offers. Many disease will cause your flock to be quarantined with fines in the thousands if birds leave the property. Regular NPIP oly test for 2 things in which have really already been eradicated. So if some says they are NPIP and are "tested for everything" they really have no clue what NPIP does and have no clue about what their birds are actually tested for, because NPIP DOES NOT test "FOR EVERYTHING".
We take many calls about MG trying to help others restart a flock and teach how to eradicate disease from hatching eggs etc. We get the call after Department of Agriculture has found this reportable disease, people are devastated don't know what to do don't want the disease to spread but are heartbroken. How to properly clean, burn, disinfect, how to understand what can and can not be eradicated through hatching eggs by treatments.

You have fungal issues... the list is long. That is why I feel it is best to sacrifice a bird that is already ill and get a diagnosis.
There are many poultry illnesses. Some viral, some bacterial, respiratory, non-respiratory etc.

Poka let me tell you, over the years I have made the acquaintance of many poultry enthusiasts. Every year I get calls about there are a few "sick" birds... every year .... and every year I hear people say "I have never had an issue before... I have never had a bad hatch before... the list goes on... the sad thing is THEY DO have issues every year, they do have a bad hatch they do have birds that die yet all always say the same thing ... this has never happened before. If I am close to the person I will tell them... actually you have, last year blah blah blah happened, and the year before blah blah blah happened... it is like they either forget or can't face it I'm not sure. If they are not close I usually don't say much. Denial is a big thing in the bird world.
I have ad show breeders tell me I was horrible for encouraging people to eradicate diseased flocks and start over. Had one cuss me out.:lol: My response was... "so you sell hatching eggs and chicks KNOWING you have this rampant devastating disease and you are ok with that... just throw them on antibiotics all the time right?" Breeders response- it's no big deal.

I am of the opinion it is a big deal... why do I want my birds going on antibiotics, why do I want to have to pitch eggs, what about the carcass in the end...

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, thanks Southern. So, I'm in question were to go from here. Is there a thing I could do?