Best soap recipes

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The soap is fine, un-molded and cut and put on the rack to dry. I did some more research about why sometimes it goes to trace so ridiculously fast and I think I really have an understanding and a way to control it now. In case anyone else in interested.

http://www.modernsoapmaking.com/controlling-trace-in-cold-process-soapmaking/

Today I made the soap I was supposed to make yesterday. Cranberry Fig and Patchouli and it behaved perfectly. Here it is freshly poured into the mold. Tomorrow I will make some more, not sure what scent, need to sleep on it. And I need to milk a goat.

upload_2016-10-26_22-27-26.jpeg

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
DD and I picked up some soap at a farmer's market several weeks ago- we noticed that as we are using the soap, it's very soft- there wasn't a list of ingredients given but what would make it so soft that if squeezed even a little bit it would change shape?

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
DD and I picked up some soap at a farmer's market several weeks ago- we noticed that as we are using the soap, it's very soft- there wasn't a list of ingredients given but what would make it so soft that if squeezed even a little bit it would change shape?

definitely could be the types of oils/fats used produced a softer bar, but maybe they didn't let if cure fully? i've hurried the cure before, and the soap was ok, apart from being soft like you described. the rest of the bars in that one batch cured fully and were nice and hard. I was just in a hurry to try my new recipe, i couldn't wait any longer.

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@babsbag

YOUR SOAP LOOKS SO PURDY
i have yet to try pretty, i am still trying to nail down specific oils and recipes i like before i start really scenting and coloring. i have a selection of scents and mica's to try, but like i said, i am really trying to nail down a favorite oil mix. My whole family is skin sensitive so finding that perfect oil combo for each is hard!!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have so much milk in the freezer and am going to render my lard soon. Now I have to re-find all the info to make soap, I've only done it once and never with lard. Where does everyone get their fragrances/coloring? I'm trying to go as natural as possible..

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i need to start making soap again soon too, hubs wants the space in the freezer for more venison XD

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I too buy mostly from Brambleberry. Their service is great, products are tested and they tell you if it will behave badly in cold process soap.

@Hens and Roos As @MaggieSims said, it could be the oils or the cure. If it was the oils it could have been very high is olive oil. This site has a list of oils and soap additives and their properties. 99% of the soap I make is Olive, Palm, and Coconut oils. Occasionally I will do one heavy in Olive oil or add Shea butter or castor oil but I tend to stick with what works. I do sometimes add in things like ground oatmeal, pureed carrots, coffee and other unique stuff for certain effects. I teach classes on occasion but none this year, the dairy build is hogging all my free time.

Whenever you try a new recipe run it through a lye calculator, even if you get it from a good known site. I have found mistakes.

http://summerbeemeadow.com/content/properties-soapmaking-oils