Best thoroughbred feed

JadeFarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I really want to fatten up my thoroughbred, I have never gotten her fat enough for her ribs not to show. Is there a certain grain or feed I can use to fatten her up?

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Honestly, senior feeds are always a good bet for putting weight on a horse. They don't tend to give a lot of excess energy (which will just make them burn it right back off) but they are easy to digest and have a lot of fat in them because older horses tend to have a hard time keeping weight on.

JadeFarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Honestly, senior feeds are always a good bet for putting weight on a horse. They don't tend to give a lot of excess energy (which will just make them burn it right back off) but they are easy to digest and have a lot of fat in them because older horses tend to have a hard time keeping weight on.
Okay, so even though she’s only 6 yrs she can eat senior.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
With my hard keeper I made sure first of all, that he always had excellent quality hay in front of him (I don't have pasture). I supplemented also with senior, but it's spendy, and he didn't have dental or carb issues. What I came up with as a supplement instead that worked for him was beet pulp, COB, and a cup of sunflower seeds and corn oil, for extra fat.

JadeFarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
With my hard keeper I made sure first of all, that he always had excellent quality hay in front of him (I don't have pasture). I supplemented also with senior, but it's spendy, and he didn't have dental or carb issues. What I came up with as a supplement instead that worked for him was beet pulp, COB, and a cup of sunflower seeds and corn oil, for extra fat.
Okay, that sounds good. I can order some of that for her. Is there a specific brand you recommend?

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, that sounds good. I can order some of that for her. Is there a specific brand you recommend?

No, those are all just basic feeds, no additional ingredients. They should be easy to locate at your feed store. Do a little research and/or ask your vet about amounts to feed. The best way to know how much you're giving is to weigh it. All feeds are different, a 1 pound coffee can used as a measure of oats is going to be a different amount than a 1 pound can of corn for instance. Always know your measurements. As always, with any feed, start gradually. Glad you are taking good care of her and enjoying her!

JadeFarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
No, those are all just basic feeds, no additional ingredients. They should be easy to locate at your feed store. Do a little research and/or ask your vet about amounts to feed. The best way to know how much you're giving is to weigh it. All feeds are different, a 1 pound coffee can used as a measure of oats is going to be a different amount than a 1 pound can of corn for instance. Always know your measurements. As always, with any feed, start gradually. Glad you are taking good care of her and enjoying her!
Okay thanks

Mary Fralick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I really want to fatten up my thoroughbred, I have never gotten her fat enough for her ribs not to show. Is there a certain grain or feed I can use to fatten her up?
I have used Beet Pulp to fatten up my horses & have had good success. If you use this be sure to soak it over night in water before you give it to your horse