Best treats for sheep?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oooooooooooooh maybe I'll try some peanut butter on bread
Think about that. Gummy peanut butter on bread which can get wadded up and gummy.... could choke them. I've had the greedy little pigs gobble pellets so fast that they choke on them and I'm in the sheep lot picking up a sheep on her hind legs, giving her the heimlich manuver. Somehow it never works..... Clapping them on the back also does not bring about the desired result. Stroking their throat likewise does pretty much nothing. They drool, make gagging noises and finally swallow it down. No dead sheep yet, but it sure is scary.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was talking about a whole cob of corn like how you buy it in the grocery store :hide
When I shuck corn, I have lots of help. They will eat a few shucks, but what they really want is the corn! I hold the cob and let them gnaw it off. Sloppy, but fun.

ETA don't break it in small pieces, choking danger! LOL

black_cat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Think about that. Gummy peanut butter on bread which can get wadded up and gummy.... could choke them. I've had the greedy little pigs gobble pellets so fast that they choke on them and I'm in the sheep lot picking up a sheep on her hind legs, giving her the heimlich manuver. Somehow it never works..... Clapping them on the back also does not bring about the desired result. Stroking their throat likewise does pretty much nothing. They drool, make gagging noises and finally swallow it down. No dead sheep yet, but it sure is scary.
Oh goodness. I'll avoid peanut butter on bread.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A tip for choking horses from a vet I used to use is to put a little water in an ear and step back. They will violently shake their heads trying to get the water out of their ear and usually dislodge whatever was stick in the process. May also work for sheep, worth a try if all else fails.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep are absolutely terrifying at night when it's foggy
If the car headlights catch sheep in the dark, the eerie orange glow is heart-stopping.
Sheep have an extremely well developed sense of small....if our hands have been in contact with something they don't like they may reject that piece of food. Also if there is mould...but never feed mouldy anything to them Mouldy hay/sileage can harbour Aspergillus or Listeria and can be fatal.

black_cat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If the car headlights catch sheep in the dark, the eerie orange glow is heart-stopping.
Sheep have an extremely well developed sense of small....if our hands have been in contact with something they don't like they may reject that piece of food. Also if there is mould...but never feed mouldy anything to them Mouldy hay/sileage can harbour Aspergillus or Listeria and can be fatal.
I would never feed them anything moldy on purpose- but they must have smelled something weird on that slice of bread :hu

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Water in the ear! What a great idea! Thanks for that @Kusanar .
No problem, it has cleared up a few chokes for me (in horses) so figured I would share. It is also recommended to keep them off of solid feeds for a few hours after as the irritation from having feed lodged can cause them to choke again easier. I have left my horses in a stall with some soupy feed and water overnight and then turned them back out in the morning if they choked to let their throats have a break

Latest posts