Best way to install water supply.....

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am only in the weekends at the farm.
What would you advice for an automatic watering system supply for a Steer and a Donkey ?
Ps: and where to buy it.we do have Tractor Supply in the area also.
AD

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you already have water on site or are you bringing water in with you? If you have water on site: a well, or water pipes, then you could get a small stock tank and a float valve and some hose... the first two are definitely available at Tractor Supply, and the steer and donkey would have water available all the time.

If you are bringing in water when you come that may be more of a problem... but one thing at a time.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Even if you do not have water "on site" as long as you have a roof -with or without gutters- you could put rain barrels under the eves and catch rain water. I have been doing this for several years and need very little well water at the barn. A hose and a float will work with this system too. Just connect all the barrels and go for it.

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a water outlet with a hose connection sticking out the ground about 10-15 feet away from my shade feed stall canopy but outside of the fence of the pasture. I could use a hose or dig a pipe to there. What sort/brand float valve would you recommend and are they trust worthy and reliable?How big of a stock tank would you suggest?

AD

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Float valves seem to come in two varieties... metal hose connector and plastic hose connector. We have found that the metal ones, which cost a few dollars more, last longer in the Texas sun. Our experience is that eventually the plastic connector fails and you end up with a fountain shooting into the air... not a good thing if it happens on Monday night and you don't find out until Saturday morning... lots of wasted water.

Regarding the size of the stock tank... I should think you could go with one just large enough for both animals to get their muzzles in the water at the same time. If you are looking at expanding the number of animals then you may want to go with something larger. We have an 8' diameter tank for our four cows and it is more than big enough. Down in the corral we have a 4' oval tank. That size may be what you want...

Usually the folks at Tractor Supply are pretty good about answering questions on things like tanks and float valves. Tanks can get a little pricy so be creative for your two livestock. For instance, in our goat pens we have float valves attached to larger flat back buckets and that works well for our little goats. A plastic barrel cut in half may work for your steer and donkey... just don't think you HAVE TO get a real stock tank. Look for what works for you!

One last thought... there is a type of black plastic pipe, flexible, and I think (may be wrong) that it is called irrigation pipe. Tractor probably doesn't carry it. We have found it at Home Depot and they call it drip system tubing. Anyway, you can use that with the appropriate connections to attach to your hose bib, run it underground to where you want the tank and then attach, with the right connections, to the float valve. I strongly suggest burying the pipe to protect it from the weather more than anything else. Doesn't have to be very deep.

Good luck with your project! Keep us posted as to how you do.

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Most helpfullllll...and TY people...I appreciate it.
We mainly making plans and learning first.
It is all not going to happen overnight ....most likely we hope to buy the animals next year spring.
We using this year to get water done and deviding the pasture in smaller parcels with fences and gates.
AD

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One MORE question...
Does the water tank need to be stalled in the shade?
It get's awfully hot in Texas.
I am thinking of placing it in the feed stall but in that case I need to lay the line under my gravel driveway.
Not a real problem but it would be easier if I can place the tank in the open field.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our stock tank is out in the open without any shade. Cows don't seem to mind unless the top is frozen over in the winter. We also have a couple of feeder type fish in the tank to help with the mosquito larva. I don't feed the fish at all and they seem quite content. The cows drop in enough vegetation and I think the fish eat the gunk that accumulates on the inside of the tank.

Bottom line cows don't seem to care as long as the water is wet.

Good question, though!

dirkwood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
animalmom said:
Our stock tank is out in the open without any shade. Cows don't seem to mind unless the top is frozen over in the winter. We also have a couple of feeder type fish in the tank to help with the mosquito larva. I don't feed the fish at all and they seem quite content. The cows drop in enough vegetation and I think the fish eat the gunk that accumulates on the inside of the tank.

Bottom line cows don't seem to care as long as the water is wet.

Good question, though!
WOW...great reply..this is why I like this forum.
Never would have tought about all that.
You would imaging the water would attract musquito's...
Thank you so much...