Best way to remove wild cherry

GrimshelsGrazingGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have recently discovered some wild cherry trees in my fenced in area. Somebody was telling me the leaves are bad for the goats. They eat them when they fall off the trees are to high for them to eat off of. What is the best way to remove these if they are harmful. I have four or five that are growing almost all the other trees

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's the wilting leaves that are bad for livestock - like when a branch breaks off and falls to the ground, and the leaves on it start wilting - eating those wilting leaves is very dangerous. My sheep eat the fresh leaves (on short trees they can reach) and individual leaves that fall to the ground with no problem - however I'd like to remove all the cherry trees I can also, so I don't have to worry about downed branches.

More info here: http://www.goatworld.com/health/plants/cherry.shtml

My plan is to remove the trees in the winter, so I don't have to worry about cleaning up all the leaves. You could remove them anytime, just keep your stock penned up, or shut out of the area until you've gotten all of the branches and leaves out.