Best way to tame the calf?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ive got a friend thats 89.an he used to milk the wildest cows by hand.even with them kicking all around him.an 1 day i asked him how he did it.an he said i was so stout when i was younger.that i used to push my shoulder an head into them.an push them to the wall so they couldnt kick me.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
ive got a friend thats 89.an he used to milk the wildest cows by hand.even with them kicking all around him.an 1 day i asked him how he did it.an he said i was so stout when i was younger.that i used to push my shoulder an head into them.an push them to the wall so they couldnt kick me.
DH who is almost 6 ft does that. I can't push a 1100+ lb cow over if she doesn't want to be pushed. And anytime I've tried putting my shoulder and head into them like that I end up hurt. Nose leader tied to their hind leg, with their head around and touching their sides works best for me. Even that mean little b*tch of an jersey, named Arrow, broke that way. It was kind of funny to see her upside down though. I've never had one do that before or since. :lol:

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
If any of you are interested, I could start a post and tell you how to do it.
I've seen it done, never had any need myself. I would like to know how it's done!

I think all the nasty dairy cows ended up at the dairy I miked at!
I can't say if it was the breed or how they were raised. There were some that were bundles of nerves, when it came to any human contact! Bowling over other cows, slamming into gates and walls, anything to avoid people!
They were the ones that squished themselves into the parlor, ready to explode when you tried to touch them!
That's where I learned a rope across the back is easier than using the kickers!

As for the Limos, I was shocked when I first heard they had a bad reputation! From what I understand, the breeders have been working on the temperament. Other than any that can be traced back to the first Limo bull we used and a Jersey show heifer, (and maybe some brahmas), most of ours have been good!
My heifer catching the other day was simple, I had one caught and in the barn before Hubby got there! While the herd stood on the slab and ate, I picked out the other, walked her down the slab and around the barn, down the other slab, and into the barn! Hubby was there, because that one, usually eats close to the bull, I don't mess with the bull!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
jhm-sounds like you have a thread to start.

thewife-it sounds like with the cows you used to work with it was the way they were brought up. We bought a blue and white heifer onetime that was spooked of people. While she calmed down we were never able to get her to let us touch her sides. She would kick to kill! I know she was beaten and mistreated where she was raised but, couldn't prove it. We even put her in a stantion where we had to walk by her all the time (on the way into the milkhouse). It had a divider and a post inbetween her and us on the walk. We would just reach out and touch her side as we walked by. It didn't help her any at all. She would get that wild terrified look and let those feet fly. She stood to be milked just fine as long as you touched her rump, hip, or leg--just not her side.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
oh the days of cows that loved to kick to kill.we had 2 or 3 cows over the years that would do that.an they would kick you accross the barn.kitty my buddy is 6`1 about 250 in his prime.his sons are 6`1 140lbs an 6`4 325lbs.an ive bought meny a fesh or springer cow from them.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
We have been lucky and never had a mean Jersey. Can't say the same for Dexters though. Had a few that tried to kill me and have had a number of people seriously injured by them around here. Even the calves where crazy.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
kstaven said:
We have been lucky and never had a mean Jersey. Can't say the same for Dexters though. Had a few that tried to kill me and have had a number of people seriously injured by them around here. Even the calves where crazy.
Most Jersey's are docile but, you can get a mean one! Arrow and I used to go around every couple of months until she landed upside down with all four feet in the air after trying to get me. :lol:

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
theres 2 things a jersey is born todo.an 1 is born looking for a place to die.2 is born loving to kick.the jerseys we had would be fine an then boom start kicking you accross the barn.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Most of the ones we had were docile and I know other's that have/had them and had the same but, as with any breed there are exceptions. It seems you got them! OUCH!

Latest posts