bethh Life on the Funny Farm

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh my. Wishing for the best for Tipsy.
Thanks Bay,
The last few days have been overwhelming. I’m trying to see the positive. With Dolly, I saw that she remained relatively calm through all of the labor. She cleaned her second baby. She wasn’t excited about either of us being close to her. Maybe in someway, this experience will settle her down and she won’t end up being so skittish.
The positive I’m trying to see with regard to Tipsy is that I’ve found a very caring large animal vet that isn’t terribly far away.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a few posts going but want to update my journal. Tipsy was very puny yesterday. I thought we were going to have to put her down. I did some reading that suggested tube feeding. It also suggested penicillin. I talked to the vet and he said tube feeding is difficult. He did prescribe more nuflor and added penicillin. Before getting the meds, I decided to try and give her a bottle. She drank about 6ozs. Later that day, I gave her another 6+ozs. She definitely perked up. It was like night and day. I’m more hopeful that she will fully recover but I know we aren’t out of the woods.
Dolly seems to have recovered from last weekend’s miscarriage. She had 3 babies, all differing sizes. I dropped them at the vet to get them studied. I want as much information as I can get as to why she miscarried. Shortly after we brought them home, I became concerned that they may have some mineral deficiencies. The owner was on well water. Dolly seemed the least affected but the bucks had what looked like fish tail, thinning hair on their heads and snouts, all of which has resolved.
Dixie had her big boy this morning. She was in early labor last night. Herb rigged a ring doorbell in the pen and I set alarms for every 45 minutes or so. Alarm would go off and Herb would check the ring. Around the 3:30am alarm, it looked like she was pushing. I got dressed, ran down stairs and grabbed the bag of possible birthing supplies. We spent the rest of the night/early morning outside. She was super chill, attentive to her sisters, ate/drank. She delivered around 10:10am. He is a big boy, weighed 4.2ounces. She struggled getting him out. I didn’t help internally but did pull a little. It took over an hour for her to pass the afterbirth. I assisted with getting him to nurse. The other does were all agitated. Herb built a quick one room bonding pen and put mom and baby in it. I’m calling the little buckling Dash, Dixie is the mom and Cash is the dad.
If you read all this, thanks!!
946E7459-EA54-4D29-BCA2-4A53A2F23F72.jpeg

GardnerHomestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So sorry about the miscarriage, we lost three babies this year, i try and learn and take something from each one but sometimes its completely out of our control. i hope you get some answers from the vet. Thats a handsome buckling you got. congrats!!

Latest posts