bethh Life on the Funny Farm

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey,
Well, Dixie made another trip to UGA for another stay last week. She was puny and running a fever. At first I thought it maybe leptospirosis because lepto was found in the necropsy. They tested her for lepto and it was negative but they found she had elevated white blood cells and a liver issue. Can’t remember now if the values were high or low. This prompted them to first do an ultrasound followed by a liver biopsy. They found she has hepatatic lipidosis. This means, she can’t eat grain, Dash needs to be weaned and she can’t be milked currently. On the plus side, it isn’t contagious and she can recover from it.
Help!!! How do I wean a month old kid who only knows nursing? I need to do it sooner rather than later.
This is my one thought, put Tipsy and Dash together and Dolly and Dixie together. Tipsy needs some grain because she is due in roughly 3 weeks and Dash knows her. Dixie and Dolly would be fine together since no one there would be getting grain.
@B&B Happy goats @Senile_Texas_Aggie @CntryBoy777 @Baymule @Mike CHS @chickens really
A2FE91F4-4DD6-4938-835C-D4311ADB374B.jpeg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bottle feed the month old -- may be hard to get co-operation since only knew an udder. Sometimes they will drink the milk from a dish. If another doe is in milk, use her milk. Rarely will they accept a foster to nurse. I haven't read all the thread but, saw a call so, offering just blind advice. I'll get to the thread.....soon. LOL

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Bottle feed the month old -- may be hard to get co-operation since only knew an udder. Sometimes they will drink the milk from a dish. If another doe is in milk, use her milk. Rarely will they accept a foster to nurse. I haven't read all the thread but, saw a call so, offering just blind advice. I'll get to the thread.....soon. LOL
I appreciate any help that I can get. I tried to get him to drink out of a dish yesterday unsuccessfully. I also tried to give him a bottle also unsuccessfully. I separated him from his mom last night. I’m hoping he’ll be starving this morning and take the milk from dish or bottle willingly. He‘s already eating some hay and drinking water.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I appreciate any help that I can get. I tried to get him to drink out of a dish yesterday unsuccessfully. I also tried to give him a bottle also unsuccessfully. I separated him from his mom last night. I’m hoping he’ll be starving this morning and take the milk from dish or bottle willingly. He‘s already eating some hay and drinking water.
He may take to the bottle...I have had to bottle feed older kids and used a plastic baby bottle...I used a skewer to make the hole in the nipple larger, held the kid and kept squirting the milk into its mouth, it took almost the entire day but got him drinking from it by evening....I used warm cows milk because there was no goats milk available ( neighbors goat, doe died ....kid grew into a healthy adult ) .....

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He may take to the bottle...I have had to bottle feed older kids and used a plastic baby bottle...I used a skewer to make the hole in the nipple larger, held the kid and kept squirting the milk into its mouth, it took almost the entire day but got him drinking from it by evening....I used warm cows milk because there was no goats milk available ( neighbors goat, doe died ....kid grew into a healthy adult ) .....
Thanks. This morning I got him to drink a little out of the bottle. He and I were both covered with it. The kid that you fed with the baby bottle was it a regular size goat or a dwarf. I used a Pritchard nipple on a water bottle. That’s what we always used with Dixie and Tipsy but that was all they knew. I have goat replacement milk. My girls had soft, runny poop. It didn’t improve until I changed them to formula. Dixie and Dash were beside themselves when I had them separated. I let them together hoping he got enough not to completely wipe Dixie out by trying to nurse. I’m glad he’s eating hay. I wish I had kept Dash home when Dixie went back up to UGA. It would have been a pain but he wouldn’t have had a choice but to take the bottle or drink from a pain. It would have also given her a chance to be far away from him and not hear, see or smell him. Maybe someone else will read this and it will help them. Time to go shower and wash the barn filth off. Thanks for always helping!