bethh Life on the Funny Farm

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yay!!! Plumbing!!!!
They didn’t get finished and won’t be back today. Once I recovered from that fact, I found that we weren’t on hold until they returned. There are things we can do while we wait for them to come and finish up. It will be about a week before they come back but we can run the electricity, put up some insulation and sheetrock, install the pocket door. All is great.
Still no kids! The silkie eggs in our brand new cabinet incubator are taking their sweet time. During the night, 2 hatched. I’m following the temp and humidity directions that were given to me by the Silkie guy. I hope that the rest hatch today. Hope everyone has a beautiful morning. It’s pretty here so far. Oh by the way, Dash now weighs 17lbs. He isn’t even 2 months old yet. Since he’s also eating hay, when should I start weaning him?

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
image.jpg

laundry room 95% done. Need to paint the door and we can call it a day.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can wean Dash at 8 weeks. Start now by only allowing him one bottle a day. Or cut back the amount in each bottle until your not giving him anything. Or have his morning feeding cut back and a slurp or two on the second bottle feeding.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can wean Dash at 8 weeks. Start now by only allowing him one bottle a day. Or cut back the amount in each bottle until your not giving him anything. Or have his morning feeding cut back and a slurp or two on the second bottle feeding.
That’s great news. He’s getting big, weighs 17lbs now. He’s 7 weeks now. He’s eating hay so good now. We had thought to keep him but really don’t need 3 bucks. Would it make more sense to sell him now as a kid or breed him first as a proven buck?

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s great news. He’s getting big, weighs 17lbs now. He’s 7 weeks now. He’s eating hay so good now. We had thought to keep him but really don’t need 3 bucks. Would it make more sense to sell him now as a kid or breed him first as a proven buck?
I'd sell him as a kid. Who doesn't love a new baby goat to raise as a stud/Buck prospect? Or wether him and keep him with the ladies..❤️🐐

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I can’t believe it’s been almost a month since I posted here. My grandkids and the bathroom seem to be taking all my time. When they aren’t, I’m tired. Let me see if I can update what’s been happening the last month.
The plumbers finished their part this past Friday. The tile work needs to be done. DH and DS seem intent on doing it. My hope now is that I’ll be able to shower in it on my birthday which is little less than a month away.

Tipsy hasn’t had her babies yet. I had miscalculated the date(s). She had an ultrasound at UGA on June 19th. The vet said she was roughly half way. Day 150 was 9/2. Is there a time that I should get concerned?

While Dash was staying at UGA with his mom, they disbudded him. He’s now 2.5months old and has horns growing in. What should or can we do?

The Silkies that we hatched in March have started laying eggs. They are so cute and currently tiny. I hope next spring I can hatch decent amounts of Silkies.
I have some roosters that I’m trying to sell. That’s what happens when you hatch eggs, you get roosters too.

The dogs are doing great. The barn cats will let us pet them. Sometimes, I think about trying to pick one up, but my hospital stay from a cat bite stops me. We have been busy but blessed. I try and see the positive when all I’m feeling is overwhelmed. I hope to have some newborn kid pics to post soon. Hope all of you are great.
EB12E279-90F2-46DA-B62A-5D4A3CEC61A1.jpeg

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Tipsy finally kidded this morning. She had a buckling that I’m calling Pip Squeak, “Squeakers”. She also had a doeling that didn’t make it. I’m not sure what happened. She looked small and was very contorted in the position that I found her. She was fully formed and didn’t look like there were any structural issues. The way she was laying her head was twisted all around. I thought I got a picture for help but didn’t.
Squeakers was shivering when he was born and Tipsy wasn’t interested in him. We brought him in, wrapped in towels, syringe fed him her colostrum and have a heater blowing on him. He just took about 2 ounces from a bottle.
I’d prefer mom raise him but he’s so tiny. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m glad this kidding season is over.
Now for what y’all are really interested in... I'll have to post from my phone. Pics haven't transferred to the computer yet.

Latest posts