Better of the foods?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have the following feeds at the local TSC. No idea what my farm store has, their website is not very good w/helping me out. Plus most of their feeds is made by them and you cannot stare at all the bags and compare. Kind of a deal breaker for me. Not 100% sure if my store has all of these, I know I saw Manna, no idea which.

I have LM Animal Farms, Rabbit. 30lbs total left for 2 buns.

What is the best one for my adult breeding pair? Which would be the best for the growing kits before slaughter?

Purina Rabbit Chow Complete Natural AdvantEdge Rabbit Food, 50 lb.
Select Series PRO Formula Rabbit Food, 25 lb.
Manna Pro Double Duty Rabbit Food, 50 lb.
Select Series SHO Formula Rabbit Food, 50 lb.

Should I be adding this to the current feed I have? Select Series SHO Supplement, 3 lbs.

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wouldn't go by title as much as by protein percentage. Read the tags on the feed sacks and see what the nutrition panel is for the feed. You'll find feeds ranging in protein percentage from 15 up to 18. Second, I would read the ingredient list. Some pellets are alfalfa based, some are "forage" based. Not saying one is better or worse, but I know some folks prefer one to the other. When I feed an alfalfa based pellet, I feed less alfalfa hay to my buns.

I personally feed the TSC Producers Pride rabbit pellet which is 15% protein, forage based. I've had fine success with that, but I am a backyard meat breeder; no pedigrees or show animals here. I feed that to my growers, my bucks, and my does, both dry and nursing (I do switch my fryers over to 18% for the final three weeks before slaughter).

Others will offer their opinions. Mine is just that - my opinion. Sort through the input you receive, and make a decision that works best for you.

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The only food I buy is Purina rabbit chow,Kaytee complete and Select Series PRO Formula Rabbit Food , I get all of these from Tractor Supply.. but mine are pet/show quality buns not for eating so im not sure . The amount of protein and fiber are important .

lastfling

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I feed mine the Manna Pro Select Series PRO Formula Rabbit Food - it's 16% protein. I believe the show formula is 18%. No complaints from the rabbits to date.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Since I only have two bunnies, I've been getting a 5 lb bag of ZuPreem Nature's Promise Rabbit Food. So far so good. Bunnies checked out twice by Rabbit Vet on this and they have been growing fine. No problems. :)

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing the buck can have the lesser of the foods, since all he does is sharing his swimmers and then freeloading, lol. The higher protein and such should be for the doe and babies. Yea?
I'm looking for what others use and have good results with, meat breeders, I mean.

Also, what food does not have gmo and all that?