Bigger butt on market wethers

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello Homesteaders! I have been rasing market wethers for 2 years going on 3...I have raised 3 goats so far and none of them have had a butt on them, only stocky shoulders...does anyone know of a way to get butts on them? I know it has to do with genetics, and I have my own breeding doe this year, and breeding her with an awesome buck! So, hoping they give me good kids...anyways does anyone know how to get nice butts on them? I have ran them, had them pull a tire, go up a hill, have them push up on a block to eat...I've tried everything and no progress! Any help will be appreciated! Thank you!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
While I don't have goats, it is the genetics like you mentioned. What breed/mix are the ones you have? They may just not have the capability to make more muscle. I am very picky about bulls that we buy for our beef herd... gotta have a BUTT.....

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
While I don't have goats, it is the genetics like you mentioned. What breed/mix are the ones you have? They may just not have the capability to make more muscle. I am very picky about bulls that we buy for our beef herd... gotta have a BUTT.....
i have purebred boer wether goats. they do bc their siblings always have it. just never my goats for some reason. i always do hardcore butt workouts for them 🤣.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello Homesteaders! I have been rasing market wethers for 2 years going on 3...I have raised 3 goats so far and none of them have had a butt on them, only stocky shoulders...does anyone know of a way to get butts on them? I know it has to do with genetics, and I have my own breeding doe this year, and breeding her with an awesome buck! So, hoping they give me good kids...anyways does anyone know how to get nice butts on them? I have ran them, had them pull a tire, go up a hill, have them push up on a block to eat...I've tried everything and no progress! Any help will be appreciated! Thank you!
The reason for the stocky shoulders is bc you are doing exerciseses with them like pushing on the block that puts a lot on the front end. And not what your asking but the going up a hill and thud block where the front is up above the rest of the body will break down the loin. You gotta walk them backwards I've been doing if with my lambs it really works. It kinda hard with type bigger ones but I think goats are smaller than lambs. Lift up inbetween the front legs or however you can get a good grip and push them backwards kinda fast if you can do it timed or until it can't go anymore, right now I'm a a minute 40 for the lambs and it works the butt and back muscles. (This is what the people like at the big TX shows and stuff do but they use a treadmill so probably a lot easier for them lol. But only do it every other day the idea is to work the muscles and then give them a day of rest to build them up some and also he needs some fat before you do any kind of work so he will turn that into muscle. I would still run him every day tho

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How did you breed him AI or your buck/you leased a buck? You got a pic of him
i’ve bought from my 4H leader the previous 2 years. i’m done with fair. i am starting to breed this year tho. so i’ll have babies in december, my fair is in June. i have a picture of my doe and the buck if you want to see?

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
the doe is the first two picture. she is from a really good line of breeding stock. she is a year old and about 150+ pounds.
the 3rd and 4th pictures are the buck. that was when he was around 6 months old. he is now a year old. that is my 4H leaders buck. i am showin for 4H and FFA

Attachments

• 29D3EE82-2100-4125-9337-4B5120B7A84D.jpeg
    29D3EE82-2100-4125-9337-4B5120B7A84D.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 95
  • D3EDE40E-593E-4DB9-BC64-97D982EF1B1C.jpeg
    D3EDE40E-593E-4DB9-BC64-97D982EF1B1C.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 969B74C2-07E3-458D-A5D1-CE8B226E403F.jpeg
    969B74C2-07E3-458D-A5D1-CE8B226E403F.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 0CC72BFF-4D26-48BD-9234-2CD2D4C81B96.jpeg
    0CC72BFF-4D26-48BD-9234-2CD2D4C81B96.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 81

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
the doe is the first two picture. she is from a really good line of breeding stock. she is a year old and about 150+ pounds.
the 3rd and 4th pictures are the buck. that was when he was around 6 months old. he is now a year old. that is my 4H leaders buck. i am showin for 4H and FFA
Oo they are real nice hope you get some good babies

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oo they are real nice hope you get some good babies
thank you! i’m hoping they will get me some good butts and wethers! i’m plannin on keepin her kids(obviously a wether(if she has one) for my market goat project), and then if she gives me a doe i’m plannin on keepin her for a while to see her body structure. what should i start lookin for in a young doe?

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
thank you! i’m hoping they will get me some good butts and wethers! i’m plannin on keepin her kids(obviously a wether(if she has one) for my market goat project), and then if she gives me a doe i’m plannin on keepin her for a while to see her body structure. what should i start lookin for in a young doe?
I don't really know much for goats but I assume things like straight pasterns good back round rib cage good stifle nice neck set muscular etc