Birthing shelter

Danceswgoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Right now I have one 10'x10'x8'H very cozy shelter where I keep 4 goats (corral is much larger) and I was wondering if I really need to build a stall for the goats for when they give birth, say 4'x8'x8'H. The place where I got them had only one very large shelter where they could come in and out at their leisure and also give birth some times without assistance. I would very much prefer to be there when they give birth but I wonder if its necessary to build an additional stall within the corral for the goats going into labor.

Thanks, EZ.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I have just started my 3rd kidding season. I have had 4 kids born of 3 yearling FF does so far this year. The past 2 years I did no special stall/containment/area and the does had them when and where they chose. I have had zero issues with losses or bullying or anything else. They did have a "hoop hut" structure they could go in to escape weather and such. This year I built a new goat mansion that is a raised floor and the lowest entrance is at least 18" off the ground. If a kid left the shelter, they would not be able to get back in during their first 3-4 days of life. If they consequently went under the shelter where I couldn't reach them, there was a fear (of mine) that they could freeze to death overnight. The first 2 born did in fact go deep up under and I freaked out trying to get them out. Their mom eventually went under with them and gave them a stern talking to then came back out and they followed. I collected them up and came up with the below solution.

To help keep them safe I took scrap OSB left over from the outside walls and built two, 8' x 6' areas inside, ~24" high. The adults obviously can step right over that with no issue. The babies however could not. When they were born, wherever that happened to be, I collected them up and placed them inside those enclosures. Mom followed them in and knew where they would be located to come and go as required. When the babies were old enough to physically escape the enclosure, they were also capable to get back in the shelter if they left it. They now run in the low entrance and out the higher one (~30" high), and back the other way as well. They also go under the shelter as they desire and come back out at will. I no longer really concern myself with it.
pbj-buckling-2019-1-15a-jpg.57141

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
small one
SAM_7635.JPG

large one
SAM_7638.JPG
SAM_7639.JPG

we also use the akc panels and make extras

ours don't stay in the stall just for kiddind and overnight then they go to a maternity area
after a week back to the field
dam raised we do a little different

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think it's wise to have a stall available when needed, but all does may not need it. Some dams are overprotective and the rest of the herd certainly appreciates it when I leave them with their babies in a stall for a few days. LOL. Others may have an early baby, or tiny triplets I don't want getting through the fence or hiding in the large pasture. Or maybe there are severe thunderstorms forecasted and I don't want to worry about where the day old babies are so I lock them in for the afternoon. Just a few examples of thy I like to have stalls available. Many of my does are out with the herd and their babies very soon after birth, but sometimes that doesn't work out either.

Latest posts