Bit by the Goat Bug!!! Im in Love.....

SueD

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
SO....I now have my 26 acres of land near Lake Lure, NC and have so much to do and land to clear. I dont have alot of money and my husband, youngest son (23yo) and I will be doing the majority of the work. There are old meadows from previous owners of 20 years ago or so that are now somewhat overgrown but salvageable. Im looking for a tractor and bush hog for clearing and then I think to myself, self....what can clear this better and greener? I dont know I replied so I started reading and knew something about goats maybe doing it. In all my reading I discovered that the goat would be the perfect choice but which ones? My best friend raises pygmies and pygoras and another friend had a couple of rescue goats she was going to give me, but I wanted more. I heard about Kikos and read all about them and thought, this is it, now to find some. Easier said than done, however after researching on Craigslist there is a man near Spartanburg that may have some in April. SO this past weekend Im at my new favorite store, Tractor Supply, and I see a book on goats. I bought it and began reading.
Now let me tell you about living there so far though. I had thought we would live out of our tents for several months while we work at it, but discovered a small one room cabin/shed building and brought that in and set it up, complete with a portable heater. So Sunday Im sitting out in front of it in a fold able chair reading about goats, when I get to the section, Spanish goats...AKA Brush or scrub goats. They sounded perfect!!! So Monday I began my search for Spanish goats , using the Spanish Goat Association web site for breeders somewhat near my area, and the bug has bit...Im so in love with the little guys already and I havent touched one yet. I found a lovely lady in Va with many bucklings still available and fell in love with one called Rocky Road. He was still available and I sent her a check. Another ad posted a rare blue color, and she had one left! I sent her a check today. Finding does has been a bit harder but I sent emails to a few places and lucked up with Waverly Farms also in Va. She has some almost yearling does she will sell me!! So, in the span of 2 days I had found 5 Spanish goats. I dont know which does I will get but they were all lovely ladies. AND I still want a few Kikos, what magnificent creatures.....
Now I have to figure out fencing for them as I will need to be somewhat mobile as the land is rough and thick. Any ideas on this from you seasoned goaters? And LGDs or Alapaca? So many things to consider and do....not enough time in the day and I can only get out there on weekends right now.

SueD

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Magic worrds there....solar and Kikos!! Do you have or will you have any for sale this year? I found a guy near Spartanburg for April....but if I could find from someone on here that would be wayyyy better

Bucking Adoeable Fainters

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh absolutely exciting. Many congratulations on your land and little cabin. Sounds like a dream.
You have definitely been bit by the goat hoarder. .....i mean HERDER (lol!) You fit right in and welcome to the club!!!!

I second what Southern said about the hotwire. Always has been the easiest and most cost effective with large spans.

Alpacas and LGD both do the trick. But in my experience dogs are worth their weight in gold...but to each their own!!

Very excited to see pictures!!!!!!!!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Magic worrds there....solar and Kikos!! Do you have or will you have any for sale this year? I found a guy near Spartanburg for April....but if I could find from someone on here that would be wayyyy better

We only have 1 commercial Buck at the moment.
We will have Kiko/ Lamanchas sometime soon! LOL

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Actually from what I've read, you want llamas, not alpacas. Alpacas need guardians, just like sheep and goats.

Bucking Adoeable Fainters

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Maybe it has its just the temperament of the certain alpaca. Our friend has about 80head and has 3 alpacas, one in each perimeter pen. 2 of them are meaner then the dickens, and i wont go near them! One is a sweetheart, but he also knows his job, he's killed a few coyotes!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually from what I've read, you want llamas, not alpacas. Alpacas need guardians, just like sheep and goats.
Agree!
Maybe it has its just the temperament of the certain alpaca. Our friend has about 80head and has 3 alpacas, one in each perimeter pen. 2 of them are meaner then the dickens, and i wont go near them! One is a sweetheart, but he also knows his job, he's killed a few coyotes!
Alpacas really are not guardians... this is an odd case. Alpacas are very small.
A few miles from us there is a huge herd of alpacas... they had no guardian... so many were killed in the first year they have all Anatolians now to guard them.

SueD

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You are right everyone.... I had read about Alpacas being guardians but I was wondering how since they are so much smaller. I know llamas do the job and have wanted to look at them as well. Does anyone know if llamas and LGDs get along and work together? My son has wanted llamas for years now and I thought this might be cool to do.

SueD

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OK, fence question again.....how many strands of wire should I out on a post or tree to keep the babes in their assigned area?